Writing Rests in PRV

Stephen Power

Question

I've started to add notes directly in the Piano Roll View, rather than play them in, for some tunes such as Christmas Carols. This immediately brought up 2 issues:

1. Should I leave a gap (e.g. 1/16th 'square') after one note ends and before the next one starts? I started doing this, and I can't hear a 'gap' in the melody between notes.

2. If (1) is correct, then how do I write a whole rest, for example? Perhaps leave 4 blank squares between the previous and next note? This seems a lot, though.

Advice on how to write in notes and also write rests in the PRV is very welcome, and thank you in advance.

Need to sort of rewind on this for clarity about MIDI first. MIDI can be totally confusing to someone who hasn't experienced much with it, and all that MIDI note data consists of (in essence) is note ON/OFF timing, pitch, and duration (what each MIDI note in the PRV is displaying visually). Unless there is MIDI note data present, the playback engine will do nothing (lack of MIDI note data is all rest with no need to specify duration as folks above alluded to)... the engine only reacts to Note ON info.

In Cakewalk, the Piano Roll View and Staff Views are linked, so composing in one will populate the other. If you compose in PRV, the rests will appear in the Staff View (as required) if you need to print the score, but the flexibility and advantage of PRV is that you do not need to input any rest duration (which would impact the note ON that follows it). Many people default to PRV due to this flexibility.