Piano Roll "Move" midi notes feature causing crash

8 hours ago, Greg Roberts said:

Moving midi notes around in Piano Roll is causing Cakewalk to shut down completely.

Could there be any setting in Preferences that might be the issue I should look at further? 

This is my only issue at this point, so any feedback would be great!

Welcome to the forum.
Can you describe how you're moving the notes, whether they're single notes or chords, notes from multiple tracks or single tracks, what software synthesizers you're using, if any, and what hardware you have making the sound.
If you can let us know what your preferences are for playback and recording timing masters, that's good information.

• 9 months later...

I am having crashes that sound like the same as posted.   same behavior in 2022-(2?) version and 2023-9 version.   Occasionally when simply using the mouse to 'move' a note in piano roll view Cakewalk freezes briefly then crashes without notice and without saving work and without any following report about the crash. 

This is in Windows 10; has happened many times.   It may be that it is a particular kind of mouse move .. click and drag .. but I have not been able to intentionally make the crash happen.    Sometimes soon after starting work, sometimes after hours of work.  

Any clues?    I typically keep four piano roll screens, undocked, with one of them active and three minimized (using "lock contents" option at top left of each screen).   Kontakt is usually the only active plug in (multiple instances).   At the moment a simple usb audio interface.   Asio, no special configuration (default buffers, etc).  

Edited by William Copper
added config info

Hey William, good to see you on the new forum (David Baay  = brundlefly). You probably know that hard crashes like that are usually driver-related. I would guess this issue is related to your audio driver being invoked to audition pitch changes. You might try turning off audition (or toggling the audio engine off altogether) and see if gets more stable. If it does, changing ASIO buffer size might help. Otherwise you might need to try a different interface or experiment with WDM/WASAPI to further confirm it's the ASIO driver.

Edited by David Baay