ARA integration with SpectraLayers Pro 9

winkpain

Question

Where does anyone go with specific questions about ARA integration issues?

I have reached out to Support here with Cakewalk, who recommended talking to Steinberg (for SpectraLayers) and when I reach out to them, they suggest reaching out to Cakewalk.

Who knows how ARA works??

Specifically:

I am having some issues using Steinberg's SpectraLayers Pro 9 within Cakewalk in its Region FX/ARA integration capacity.
I have written in before seeking how to get the SpectraLayers keyboard shortcuts to work when editing within CW, but have had no success.

However, my main and current issue (and far more functionally important) is how to get layers from within SL to populate within the CW track structure. An example of how this supposed to work can be seen in the Steinberg tutorial video here (at the 4:18 mark)

It shows the user dragging and dropping layers that have been established within SpectraLayers ARA editor to separate track lanes in the DAW. When attempting to do this in Cakewalk, nothing happens. No layer is imported (as can be seen in this video  - https://imgur.com/a/ZUfhOSh  ) In the case of the YouTube video, the DAW is Steinberg's Cubase, I know, but ARA integration is supposed to work the same or similarly in whatever DAW has ARA capabilities, so I understand. Is this not so?

I have contacted Steinberg already and they said to contact Cakewalk Support, which I have done before with no luck, nevertheless I have sent in another ticket there, but I'm asking here as well.
How can I get this "import layers" functionality in CW??

Edited by winkpain
More details

1 answer to this question

I just verified this issue. CbB will open as a Region FX, but does not allow the drag/drop capability back into a track like it should (stop icon hovers when dragged into CbB). The tutorial video above uses Cubase (I do not have that installed), but I also verified that it does work within Studio One (there you need to ALT-drag an effect onto a track to open it in ARA mode).

Short answer about ARA is that the audio is essentially passed freely between an FX and the DAW, which enables "look ahead" on audio as well as the passing of edits and information back and forth during use.