Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

For feedback that is specific to 2019.07, it would be helpful to the team if you use this topic to share your feedback and issues. Similar to the Early Access topics, we want to focus discussions related to the new release in this topic. 

2019.07 is definitely one of the biggest updates we've done in a while - we really appreciate all the great feedback and participation in the Early Access Program that led us here! 

2019.07 Highlights

2019.07 Release Notes

Online doc covering new features

Thanks for your participation!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I’ve spotted one small bug in 2019.07: whereas the new Smart Tool icon in the Control Bar always changes if at least one of its default functions is removed, the same is not true for the floating Tool Window (a.k.a. HUD, which you reach by pressing the middle mouse button). The filled pointer icon is always displayed in the floating window regardless if the Smart Tool is customized or not. I assume this is not the intended behaviour.

I already wrote this in another thread as there wasn't any official 2019.07 feedback thread open at the time, so sorry for cross-posting.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just downloading but the fact that the bug fix list is so long makes me very happy indeed.

I don't need new features. I need what is there to work and to be rock solid. My clients don't need new features they need this thing to be reliable. And it seems this is the direction you are taking. And I love it. Thank you and Bandlab team! I love this Software.

If I had a magic wand there are only two things I would like to see:

1) Further improvements to plugin load balancing are always always very welcome. If CbB  was to reach Reaper levels of efficiency I would be a very happy man.

2) If we could  color markers in the time ruler comparable to Pro Tools my sessions would be even easier to maneuver. So for instance marker section A in red and marker section B in green etc. 

Pro_Tools_LE-ScreenShot-Final_Markers.jpg

Edited by Mannymac
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

During playback, clicking (with select or smart tool) in an empty area used to do nothing but deselect all clips. It now also moves the cursor and playback position to the place clicked.

I assume there's a setting which I can use to revert to the previous behavior?

Edited by btbrock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @btbrock we added the ability to click to change the position during playback since that is the most intuitive and fast gesture to quickly change playback position rather than requiring the user to click on the timeline. Most other programs also do this.

May I ask why deselecting during playback is more important than this in your workflow?
Also you can deselect using the select NONE command or any keybinding for it.  Currently you can press CTRL Shift A to deselect or press the numpad 5 key (with num lock off) to deselect all.

There is no preference for this behavior...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @btbrock we added the ability to click to change the position during playback since that is the most intuitive and fast gesture to quickly change playback position rather than requiring the user to click on the timeline. Most other programs also do this.

May I ask why deselecting during playback is more important than this in your workflow?
Also you can deselect using the select NONE command or any keybinding for it.  Currently you can press CTRL Shift A to deselect or press the numpad 5 key (with num lock off) to deselect all.

There is no preference for this behavior...

Hi Noel,

I can't speak for @btbrock, but for me I always would click in the empty area to deselect as I edit while the file is playing. I edit multi track voice over, podcasts, etc. and will select a section across multiple tracks and then ripple delete them. Once deleted, I always just click in an empty area to deselect AND allow the file to continue scrolling. When I needed to jump to a specific location, I just clicked up on the timeline.

Guess we'll have to re-train our muscle memory.

Not a big deal ESPECIALLY since you guys are doing superiorly BANG up Job of continuing all the great things that brought us all to Cakewalk in the first place and continuing to make it better "under the hood."

THREE CHEERS FOR THE CAKEWALK TEAM!!!

Wally

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deselecting by means of clicking in the empty space was a nice way to work without removing my hand from the mouse.

The other side of it is that I prefer that it not be easy to accidentally change the playback position. For example, one way to select a clip is by clicking on the clip header bar. With the previous behavior, if I missed the bar and clicked next to it, nothing would happen. It was still easy enough to change the playback point with the mouse in the timeline, and actually in a lot of cases (such as when using melodyne) there can be problems with playback unless I stop and restart, which is OK since usually when I want to change the playback position it is to go back to the beginning of a passage which I'm working on.

Anyway, it looks like right-clicking-and-dragging to select an empty space deselects all so I'll switch to using that.

Thanks for your continued work on the software.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I might have spotted another small bug in 2019.07.

There seems to be some problem with the new Lock Module Order and Justify/Center functions. If the modules selected are too many to fit within the space occupied by the Control Bar, you would normally see scroll buttons at the left-most and right-most edges of the Control Bar that will make it possible to scroll its content. And this is how it still works if you don’t lock the Control Bar, or if you select the tried-and-true Lock Module Order option.

However, if you select one of the new options “Lock Module Order and Justify” or “Lock Module Order and Center” and the excess modules at the far left and far right partly or fully disappear outside the visible area, there are no scroll buttons turning up. And without any scroll buttons I can’t understand how you are supposed to reach the modules that have fallen off the edges. Or am I just missing something simple?

Edit: Having a second look, I now see that you can drag the content of the Control Bar to the left or right to see the modules that have fallen off the edges. Is this by design, that dragging should be used instead of scroll buttons in those two particular cases? If that's the case, I don't know if that was a very wise decision to make. Having two different ways of scrolling, depending on what locking option is selected, is not very user friendly in my book.

 

Edited by Canopus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Canopus said:

I might have spotted another small bug in 2019.07.

There seems to be some problem with the new Lock Module Order and Justify/Center functions. If the modules selected are too many to fit within the space occupied by the Control Bar, you would normally see scroll buttons at the left-most and right-most edges of the Control Bar that will make it possible to scroll its content. And this is how it still works if you don’t lock the Control Bar, or if you select the tried-and-true Lock Module Order option.

However, if you select one of the new options “Lock Module Order and Justify” or “Lock Module Order and Center” and the excess modules at the far left and far right partly or fully disappear outside the visible area, there are no scroll buttons turning up. And without any scroll buttons I can’t understand how you are supposed to reach the modules that have fallen off the edges. Or am I just missing something simple?

When Locked and Justified/Centered, there are no scroll handles in the Control Bar. When Locked and Justified/Centered, the Control Bar can be scrolled with either the mouse wheel or touch pad. This has been the existing behavior since before this update. We can take this under advisement as a feature request though. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Jon Sasor said:

When Locked, there are no scroll handles in the Control Bar.

Well, actually there are. If you select "Lock Module Order", the scroll buttons will be present when the modules overflow the boundaries.

682312504_ScrollButtons.png.6d364fee3f79b79ba62bb279b505314e.png

Edited by Canopus
I now realize that you as an admin can modify your own post without leaving any traces of "Editing" behind, so now it looks as if I misquoted you. Which, for the record, I didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Well, actually there are. If you select "Lock Module Order", the scroll buttons will be present when the modules overflow the boundaries.

682312504_ScrollButtons.png.6d364fee3f79b79ba62bb279b505314e.png

Apologies, I was using Locked in that context to mean Justified/Centered, not just the order locked. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Walter Treppler and @btbrock I understand where you are coming from. We thought a lot about this change because we understand that muscle memory can be hard to relearn. 

However one of the basic workflow's during playback is seeking visually to time positions and previously it required shifting your focus away from where you are looking at the clip to set the time. i.e. imagine you are trying to playback and jump to a peak in the waveform to audition from that point, you now have to travel all the way to the time ruler to set the time which can also be distracting.

We have made a small change to help accomodate your workflow better. CTRL clicking will no longer set the time so you can ctrl click in white space and it will clear the selection. Alternatively you can do what btrock suggested and right click lasso whitespace to clear. If you still hate it after trying it out let us know.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Walter Treppler and @btbrock I understand where you are coming from. We thought a lot about this change because we understand that muscle memory can be hard to relearn. 

However one of the basic workflow's during playback is seeking visually to time positions and previously it required shifting your focus away from where you are looking at the clip to set the time. i.e. imagine you are trying to playback and jump to a peak in the waveform to audition from that point, you now have to travel all the way to the time ruler to set the time which can also be distracting.

We have made a small change to help accomodate your workflow better. CTRL clicking will no longer set the time so you can ctrl click in white space and it will clear the selection. Alternatively you can do what btrock suggested and right click lasso whitespace to clear. If you still hate it after trying it out let us know.

Ive been searching throughout the settings trying to revert this behaviour. Please let this be optional, i believe cubase has a setting that disables this feature. For one it's kinda hard to relearn the muscle memory and another reason is that also I use cakewalk as a daw for live playback and patch change, I don't want a have to deal with a random misclick on the touchpad to ruin our set.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one thing I'll be using CbB for very soon too - all live backing tracks and monitor routing to be set up and controlled inside CbB. Bumping a touchpad could spell disaster.

I do like the feature though, it makes complete sense and I could see myself using it a lot, but it would be great to have it optional or keybindable.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noted. I can see the case where in live use you might want to favor safety of not changing playback. 
Editing workflow can be different which is what I was focusing on here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For editing, I agree - I can see this being super handy! I'm looking forward to giving it a good spin over the next couple of weeks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Walter Treppler and @btbrock

We have made a small change to help accomodate your workflow better. CTRL clicking will no longer set the time so you can ctrl click in white space and it will clear the selection. Alternatively you can do what btrock suggested and right click lasso whitespace to clear. If you still hate it after trying it out let us know.

Does this Ctrl+Click work on the Build 70, or do you mean this'll be the next update? Because I just tried and Ctrl-clicking set the time instead of deselecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kaustub M. Joshi said:

Does this Ctrl+Click work on the Build 70, or do you mean this'll be the next update? Because I just tried and Ctrl-clicking set the time instead of deselecting.

Ctrl+click behavior as described is not in 70, but will be introduced in the next build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

Ctrl+click behavior as described is not in 70, but will be introduced in the next build.

Thanks!

But I wonder if it'll feel more natural if Ctrl-Clicking set the time while simply clicking just deselected (like before). I'd say that'll be more similar to previous builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...