How to separate two instruments in the same track?

Rykken

I recorded audio from an acoustic guitar and a bass guitar simultaneously on the same track (using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2). The audio for each instrument is visible separately in the same track (see screenshot), but I would like to split the two instruments into two different tracks to apply effects to each. Is there a way to do this?

Screenshot 2023-03-03 010238.png

Also, with the Scarlett 2i2 you can record into 2 Cakewalk mono tracks at the same time from the 2 inputs, so that you don't need to split them later.

In Cakewalk track input settings:

[Input 1  1 L]

[Input 2  2 R]

Instead of [Input 1 + Input 2  1+2 S]

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, abacab said:

Also, with the Scarlett 2i2 you can record into 2 Cakewalk mono tracks at the same time from the 2 inputs, so that you don't need to split them later.

I was just typing same answer but here's what it looks like on most Focusrite interfaces. The problem  new people have is they wonder what happened to the even numbers? Its a long standing complaint. 

128441479_Screenshot(1085).png.3fbf99ee83ca7d0822310612dbd6f8bb.png

But if you uncheck the use friendly names box 

975698386_Screenshot(1087).png.d57f9de6c4b77d071233d8abaebfd3eb.png

It will look like this

1231989700_Screenshot(1086).png.c3354a4857a4673e1860904a11dc98f8.png

So the Friendly version is actually not very friendly at all, it is confusing to some. 

23 minutes ago, John Vere said:

It will look like this

1231989700_Screenshot(1086).png.c3354a4857a4673e1860904a11dc98f8.png

So the Friendly version is actually not very friendly at all, it is confusing to some. 

I believe this may be part of the motivation for Friendly Names to be editable in the first place and the relatively new addition of naming individual inputs using a pipe symbol "|" to delimit the names. From http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=CakewalkSonar&language=3&help=0x20075

Use Friendly Names to Represent Audio Drivers. If you enable this check box, the Input and Output menus in audio tracks and buses will use whatever friendly names you’ve created for your Input and Output drivers. Friendly driver names are global, not per-project.

• When using friendly name, you can specify both the left and right channels in the stereo pair by using the vertical bar symbol “|” to delimit the channel names. For example, entering a friendly name of “Guitar|Voice” may show 1: Guitar, 2: Voice, 1+2: Guitar + Voice in the menus.

So, for the OP, assuming the interface input assignments will not change between projects, one might change the first friendly name from

Forcusrite USB Mic 1

to

Guitar|Bass|Stereo

In preferences this looks like

7qKvSCG.png

and the input drop down looks like

iz5879l.png

• Like 4

That's interesting. Add that to the second thing I learned this week. But it would seem that only a very , very small percentage of the people who use Cakewalk would be aware of that very, very hidden feature.

I have a hunch the OP didn't even know that there was an input choice list. They got a reading on the meters and hit record. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I doubt the OP has made it to page 1660 of the User Guide.

For long time users, this was a pretty big deal in 2021.06. Here is the link http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.024.html NOTE: at some point in the future this link will be stale. Links to new release pages are modified overtime.

Release notes are pretty important especially for those who know the product.

• Like 1

I don't mind the default names.  Most drivers supply reasonable names.

For years, I ran with friendly names disabled.

2021.06 changed that.

Sure, the default names are still OK but the ability to individually name inputs is handy.

Still waiting for phase 2...the ability to completely suppress displaying parts of a pair of inputs.

• Like 1

I jumped on the friendly names setup early on, as at the time, I dedicated certain patches in my audio I/O to the same point every time, even when moving things & reconnecting, etc. Plus, it just was nice to have the input clearly labeled for my pattern of use when setting up a Cakewalk project. In fact, I set up very much like the screenshots of @scook - and it really helps with clearly identifying some interfaces that have different types of inputs, such as line vs preamped, etc. 

The pipe symbol addition I will now need to implement, that also looks great!  -One thing I have had to deal with over the years, regarding this though, is that when you move to a different system, and set all the audio & Cakewalk back up, I had to remember to set up my I/O settings and naming exactly as it was on the old system, or my projects saved with audio interface & MIDI inputs defined would open with inputs reassigned (on a logical relative numerical order from first available to last I believe), and that could be a pain with lots of old projects on the fly.

My solution so far, has been to do a screenshot like those here, of my Cakewalk settings, as well as make sure to copy the relevant initialization files, -though usually I prefer to install a new system clean first in case any old incompatible settings exist in those older setups... but that is just my preference. And anyway, then I set up the Cakewalk I/O the same way I had before in the screenshots, friendly names and all, and old projects open properly right away,  -if I do it right of course!

So you're saying we should "unfriend" friendly names?! :D

Mackie's unfriendly names are too long for CV to display so it would be nice if we could retain and edit their nomenclature with Friendly Names instead of Friendly Names changing the nomenclature completely.

Edited by sjoens