Exclusive mode

Masaihtt

I don't mean the solo mode. I want to use my small audio interface or the internal sound card in parallel with my midi controller as well as with other applications such as YouTube. Specifically, I want to watch and listen to piano tutorials on YouTube, for example, and practice along on the controller at the same time. Cakewalk and certainly other DAWs block the sound of such applications or require a multiclient-capable card. Now I read somewhere that it might be possible in Cakewalk by switching off an exclusive mode.

This could be a few different things, but start with going to Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording and putting a tick in Suspend Audio Engine when Cakewalk is Not in Focus. This will stop Cakewalk hogging your driver when you switch out of it. It'll stop playing, however.

The other thing could be that your Windows settings have a different sample rate / bit depth than what you have set up in Cakewalk - they should match so they play nice.

I'm assuming you're using ASIO drivers for your interface. If you're using WASAPI mode, make sure your Driver Mode (same page as the last setting I mentioned) is set to WASAPI Shared. This will introduce a minimum 10ms audio latency, though, so if you're running any realtime effects or playing softsynths this might be an issue for you. Native ASIO drivers from your audio interface manufacturer is always the first choice you should go for.

Edited by Lord Tim

Yes, thanks to you, that was the right tip. Now I can at least switch back and forth between the programmes without having to close Cakewalk every time. For real parallel work, I will probably need a better interface at some point that is multiclient capable.

• Like 1