Control Surface compatibility

Hello, I'm here from Brazil, and several audio producers have acquired the control surface of Behringer x Touch, and are having difficulty enabling some features, because not all controls are compatible, you could help us by creating more compatibilities with control surfaces , creating a list of editing of the most complete surface ACT. is what most people ask. thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Josh Wolfer said:

Now that CbB has HUI support added in the Sept update, does that mean we can use the Xtouch in HUI mode and have everything (like the colored scribble strips) work automagically?

I guess you could, but the Mackie protocol is far newer and has much better support.

For example:

• HUI has no master fader
  • HUI scribble strips are limited to 4 chars per track (vs 6 chars in Mackie mode)
  • There's currently no plugin automation support for HUI

HUI is basically a deprecated protocol, which Mackie replaced with MCU a long time ago. The only reason that it's still around is to support Pro Tools.

I'd strongly recommend using Mackie mode in the XTouch - the scribble strips should work fine with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josh Wolfer said:

Interesting. Thanks for the response. I'd read that xtouch in MCU mode didn't work for certain things. I'll check it out more.

Big X-Touch (with displays) in MCU mode has exactly the same controls as MCU. Original HUI is different, X-Touch does not have related (physical) controls.

I have not heard about color displays in HUI. X-Touch color is an extension, it works in MIDI mode (when it is connected with MIDI cable) and throw Ethernet, when the device thinks it talks with Behringer mixers. I have not found the way to change colors when it is connected with USB.

Dear @msmcleod , @Noel Borthwick and all dev team.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since this thread is discussing about Control surface, I would like to  remind you about some problem with Control Surface plugin installation in CbB. The problem has been discussed here in the old forum.  We have been waiting for it to be solved.

You can read the detail of the problem in the link above. The summary is, those who did not have Sonar (pre X3) can not install Control Surface Installer in CbB due to the installer was coded to detect Sonar to work. Without Cakewalk Sonar installed, people can not install it, even if they have CbB.

So I guess it would be good idea to ask if the dev team would look at this installer, and remove the installation restriction from the installer. That way people (who is now using CbB) can install it without having Sonar installed.

Thank you so much guys.  Best regards.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd post a question in this thread rather than start a new post....

I've just bought an X Touch and have set it up in CbB.  It's working fine, but I'm having trouble controlling the EQ in the Pro channel.  Pressing the EQ button once gets me control of the frequencies and Q factors for the active channel.  Pressing the button again gets me some more parameters, and it cycles around various modes.  But, at no point does it offer control of the EQ levels.  Does anyone know if it's possible?

I kinda assumed that the faders would control the levels in EQ mode, with the rotaries handling frequency and Q.  But it seems not.

(Paging @msmcleod, who seems to be the local X Touch guru!)

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2019 at 2:06 PM, James Argo said:

Dear @msmcleod , @Noel Borthwick and all dev team.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since this thread is discussing about Control surface, I would like to  remind you about some problem with Control Surface plugin installation in CbB. The problem has been discussed here in the old forum.  We have been waiting for it to be solved.

You can read the detail of the problem in the link above. The summary is, those who did not have Sonar (pre X3) can not install Control Surface Installer in CbB due to the installer was coded to detect Sonar to work. Without Cakewalk Sonar installed, people can not install it, even if they have CbB.

So I guess it would be good idea to ask if the dev team would look at this installer, and remove the installation restriction from the installer. That way people (who is now using CbB) can install it without having Sonar installed.

Thank you so much guys.  Best regards.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, Gatters said:

I thought I'd post a question in this thread rather than start a new post....

I've just bought an X Touch and have set it up in CbB.  It's working fine, but I'm having trouble controlling the EQ in the Pro channel.  Pressing the EQ button once gets me control of the frequencies and Q factors for the active channel.  Pressing the button again gets me some more parameters, and it cycles around various modes.  But, at no point does it offer control of the EQ levels.  Does anyone know if it's possible?

I kinda assumed that the faders would control the levels in EQ mode, with the rotaries handling frequency and Q.  But it seems not.

(Paging @msmcleod, who seems to be the local X Touch guru!)

Hello. I just purchased the X Touch. I also got the Sonar Overlay. I was wondering how you have made out with the unit? What I have found is if you engage the flip button it allows you to control parameters of the EQ using the faders instead of the scribble strips. By Default  the EQ section brings you to Low Bands-I dont know how to get to the next section of Lo Mid-High Mid-High-Any help using this product? Thanks

Flip Button.jpg

On 7/21/2019 at 6:38 AM, msmcleod said:

If you're using the Behringer X-Touch, you should set it to Mackie Control mode and use the Mackie Control control surface, not ACT:

You may also want to look into getting a lexan overlay for the x-touch, so that it matches the corresponding MCU lexan overlay for SONAR:

https://store.birchwoodstudioandevents.com/Sonar-Overlay

Hello. I recently purchased the X Touch and the Overlay. Would you know if there is some documentation that explains the functions of the overlay? I have seen some videos pertaining to cakewalk by bandlab with setup but not to much using functions. I have watched the video you posted as well and I thank the person who posted it.

Thanks

Mike

7 minutes ago, Mike1212 said:

Hello. I recently purchased the X Touch and the Overlay. Would you know if there is some documentation that explains the functions of the overlay? I have seen some videos pertaining to cakewalk by bandlab with setup but not to much using functions. I have watched the video you posted as well and I thank the person who posted it.

Thanks

Mike

The overlay just ensures the buttons on the X-Touch match what Cakewalk expects.  As far as I can tell, the X-Touch has all of the Mackie Control buttons. The X-Touch Compact, X-Touch mini and X-Touch One have less buttons, and may not directly map to what Cakewalk expects.

Documentation for the buttons can be found by pressing F1 when the Mackie Control panel is up ( Utilities->Mackie Control 1 ), or alternatively you can open the help file directly - "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Surfaces\MackieControl.chm"

@Mike1212 - There's an extra function that was added that won't be in the help:   Holding M1 and pressing the Plugin button will switch to the Synth Rack, allowing you to control synth parameters.

The synth rack is a "Mix Strip" in the same way tracks, buses and mains are.

Navigation works in the same way to plugins on a track or bus,  but it navigates through the synths within the synth rack.

The best way to envisage it is to see the synth rack as a special track, with a collection of synths  as opposed to a track with a collection of effects.

On 6/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, msmcleod said:

@Mike1212 - There's an extra function that was added that won't be in the help:   Holding M1 and pressing the Plugin button will switch to the Synth Rack, allowing you to control synth parameters.

The synth rack is a "Mix Strip" in the same way tracks, buses and mains are.

Navigation works in the same way to plugins on a track or bus,  but it navigates through the synths within the synth rack.

The best way to envisage it is to see the synth rack as a special track, with a collection of synths  as opposed to a track with a collection of effects.

Hello Mark and thank you for the information. I will check out. I know this will be a lot simpler once I learn what things do. I had a another question. How do you go to the next parameters in EQ mode? I can edit Low band but dont know how to get to the next band of Low Mid--Hi Mid--High.
Any Help. Thanks for your time
Mike2103707895_LowBand.thumb.jpg.4ecf56cb49b3428a98e53f59d6a6bc0f.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi
I have a quick question as a Cakewalk Newbie...
I recently purchased a Behringer X-TOUCH to give tactile support to an XR16 we have fitted into our Blackmagic video switcher rack, but thought I'd also like to have a dabble into music creation...
I've got the X-TOUCH working more or less using MACKIE protocol within Cakewalk including even touch the faders to select tracks and the faders are working fully both from the X-TOUCH and Cakewalk BUT I cannot see anyway how to show the fader level lights on any of the faders when in play mode...
I have Reaper and Waveform installed to test on the same laptop and they both are showing lights working fine using the MACKIE protocol but no sign of any light using Cakewalk. Can someone please advise what I should do to rectify?
Also is there somewhere I can download a demo project for Cakewalk to get me started?
TIA, John

Hi Mark
Thank you for your reply, On checking again, I found that because I'd downloaded a project to try Cakewalk Cakewalk_OFZWTgkfWo.png.8b6e1b7740cd97ebddf0a520a9f44123.png out as I'm just trying learn, and was missing some plug-ins so when I switched to channels 9-16 the level meters were working - sorry!
I attach my settings, I'm seeing X-TOUCH_EXT and INT - I'm using INT so hope that's correct? Oh and do I need to use a... and or n... in the Mackie control set-up?
Lastly, is there somewhere you can recommend where I can download a good 'free' demo project for Cakewalk (preferably using it's built-in virtual instruments) to get me started?
Would really appreciate a link..
Best, John

'Hi
I have a quick question as a Cakewalk Newbie...
I recently purchased a Behringer X-TOUCH to give tactile support to an XR16 we have fitted into our Blackmagic video switcher rack, but thought I'd also like to have a dabble into music creation...
I've got the X-TOUCH working more or less using MACKIE protocol within Cakewalk including even touch the faders to select tracks and the faders are working fully both from the X-TOUCH and Cakewalk BUT I cannot see anyway how to show the fader level lights on any of the faders when in play mode...
I have Reaper and Waveform installed to test on the same laptop and they both are showing lights working fine using the MACKIE protocol but no sign of any light using Cakewalk. Can someone please advise what I should do to rectify?
Also is there somewhere I can download a demo project for Cakewalk to get me started?
TIA, John'

Cakewalk_0crUWMwVeS.png

Cakewalk_GPCrJRtDcf.png