track volume control

Max Haigh

Hi all, this is my first time posting and also using cakewalk so please be nice and apologies in advance if I've posted in the wrong place.

I'm using cakewalk with my focusrite scarlett 2i2 3rd gen and I've been slowly navigating my around enough to lay a guitar track and a drum track down. I added a third track for some complimentary guitar but im having issues with the volume on the third track and I don't know how to adjust the individual track volumes so that I can hear each track clearly on the playback (the first guitar track is drowning out the other.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Max

There are many ways to adjust a track's volume, with different considerations with each when deciding which one to use.

The most obvious, of course, is the Volume fader. The importance of this method is that it's applied after any effects you have on the track. That makes it the safest way, because you can adjust it at any time and it won't mess up, say compressor thresholds. However, it's mostly used to turn things down because you can only raise the level by, iirc, +6dB with the volume fader. If you need more than a few dB, it's probably better to use one of the other methods first and come back to Volume to fine-tune the track balances.

Then you gave the Gain slider. It does the same thing as the Volume slider/fader, but it's applied at the very start of the signal chain, before all your effects. That means you probably don't want to tweak it after you're deep into the mixing process, because boosting the level going into a plugin can alter how the plugin works. Gain is best used early on, to get the tracks into the same ballpark for your rough mix.

Both of the above methods are non-destructive, meaning the underlying audio data is not modified and you can therefore change your mind later. Whenever you need a more drastic change, you can use a destructive method that permanently alters the underlying data (well, technically it's only permanent after you've saved the project and exited Cakewalk; before then, CTL-Z still works to un-do it.) This feature is under the Process menu. If you've recorded something that's way too quiet, this is how you raise it up to be comparable to your other tracks. You will probably still use the Volume fader or automate volume afterward. 

Most plugins also have output level controls, and some also have input level controls. I will often use the output knob on an EQ or compressor to tweak a track's volume if I already have volume automation and don't want to mess it up. Most effect plugins alter volume. A band on an EQ can be thought of as a volume control that only affects specific frequencies. Sometimes we forget that, and can find ourselves wondering why there's an imbalance or a too-loud track when all we did was adjust the EQ. Sometimes, with EQ you can make a part more noticeable without turning it up at all. Balancing tracks can get complicated with FX.

Now, bear in mind that all of these methods address "levels", not necessarily "loudness". The two are related, but different things. Perceived loudness can be increased through compression, for example. Compressors (and their more aggressive siblings, limiters) can raise average levels, and it's the average levels that determine the perception of loudness. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

There are many ways to adjust a track's volume, with different considerations with each when deciding which one to use.

The most obvious, of course, is the Volume fader. The importance of this method is that it's applied after any effects you have on the track. That makes it the safest way, because you can adjust it at any time and it won't mess up, say compressor thresholds. However, it's mostly used to turn things down because you can only raise the level by, iirc, +6dB with the volume fader. If you need more than a few dB, it's probably better to use one of the other methods first and come back to Volume to fine-tune the track balances.

Then you gave the Gain slider. It does the same thing as the Volume slider/fader, but it's applied at the very start of the signal chain, before all your effects. That means you probably don't want to tweak it after you're deep into the mixing process, because boosting the level going into a plugin can alter how the plugin works. Gain is best used early on, to get the tracks into the same ballpark for your rough mix.

Both of the above methods are non-destructive, meaning the underlying audio data is not modified and you can therefore change your mind later. Whenever you need a more drastic change, you can use a destructive method that permanently alters the underlying data (well, technically it's only permanent after you've saved the project and exited Cakewalk; before then, CTL-Z still works to un-do it.) This feature is under the Process menu. If you've recorded something that's way too quiet, this is how you raise it up to be comparable to your other tracks. You will probably still use the Volume fader or automate volume afterward. 

Most plugins also have output level controls, and some also have input level controls. I will often use the output knob on an EQ or compressor to tweak a track's volume if I already have volume automation and don't want to mess it up. Most effect plugins alter volume. A band on an EQ can be thought of as a volume control that only affects specific frequencies. Sometimes we forget that, and can find ourselves wondering why there's an imbalance or a too-loud track when all we did was adjust the EQ. Sometimes, with EQ you can make a part more noticeable without turning it up at all. Balancing tracks can get complicated with FX.

Now, bear in mind that all of these methods address "levels", not necessarily "loudness". The two are related, but different things. Perceived loudness can be increased through compression, for example. Compressors (and their more aggressive siblings, limiters) can raise average levels, and it's the average levels that determine the perception of loudness. 

WOW...that's an extremely comprehensive response. Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply with all that information. I'm sure it will all be a lot more useful once I hetva little more experience using cakewalk