Wishlist: contextual help, magnifier, no-docking control

Ronman

Here's my wish list:

• I'm constantly wondering about this or that control or feature, but the documentation is so voluminous and hard to search that I resist looking it up.  How about a context search?  Not another icon, please, just that when you hover over anything, the option to press F1 or some other function key and it automatically opens up the documentation to the section that describes that thing.
  • I spend a lot of time trying to move my house just one or two pixels to click on some tiny control.  How about a magnifier that works for the entire UI, not just MIDI editing?
  • And a default that if you press an arrow key while the mouse button is depressed, it moves the cursor one pixel.
  • And an option on the docket window in addition to the existing options for "docket top",  "docket bottom" that says "never docket".  I'm always moving that window around to be able to see a track underneath or an instrument config panel and it's a pain to have to remember to press the control key to prevent docking, and it takes an extra hand to do so.
  • And a context menu on Arranger Sections for moving either end of the Section to the Now marker.

8 hours ago, Ronman said:

Here's my wish list:

• I'm constantly wondering about this or that control or feature, but the documentation is so voluminous and hard to search that I resist looking it up.  How about a context search?  Not another icon, please, just that when you hover over anything, the option to press F1 or some other function key and it automatically opens up the documentation to the section that describes that thing

The Help Module is context sensitive and will show a summary of the control you're hovering over.   Pressing the "Y" key will bring up the help module.  Pressing F1 is also context sensitive, but will go to the overall section that control lives in ( e.g. Tracks View, Clips View, PRV etc ).

• I spend a lot of time trying to move my house just one or two pixels to click on some tiny control.  How about a magnifier that works for the entire UI, not just MIDI editing?

This is built into Windows.  Press Windows Key & "+" key to enable it;  Windows Key & Esc to disable it.

• And a default that if you press an arrow key while the mouse button is depressed, it moves the cursor one pixel.

If you just want finer control, holding the SHIFT key when moving a control will move it at a much finer level.

• And an option on the docket window in addition to the existing options for "docket top",  "docket bottom" that says "never docket".  I'm always moving that window around to be able to see a track underneath or an instrument config panel and it's a pain to have to remember to press the control key to prevent docking, and it takes an extra hand to do so.

If you don't want something docked, un-dock it, close it and save as a custom workspace.   Alternatively just hit "D" to hide the multi-dock.

• And a context menu on Arranger Sections for moving either end of the Section to the Now marker.

We'll consider this.  

• Like 2

Good info. 

Let me clarify one item.  You said, "If you don't want something docked, un-dock it, close it and save as a custom workspace.   Alternatively just hit "D" to hide the multi-dock."

I don't want to close the dock window, I just want to be able to move it anywhere on the screen without the turquoise background coming up to indicate that it's going to be docked at the top or the bottom of the screen.

On 4/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, msmcleod said:

If you don't want something docked, un-dock it.

For me, its the reset it keeps doing. Isn't there a way this can be blocked? Example: Sometimes when you're so focus on the workflow - i might accidentally hit, both left and right arrow keys at the same time when i zoom in on a track. 

It doesn't only happen on these two keys. Sometimes on an undo step too, hitting Z and X at the same time. Every floating window will reset then. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ronman said:

If you don't want something docked, un-dock it, close it and save as a custom workspace.   

Yes.

Or . . . 

save it as a template and make it your default template if you work every project on an empty template. 

10 minutes ago, Ronman said:

Alternatively just hit "D" to hide the multi-dock."

Yes. The "D" shortcut key, opens and closes any windows you might have open in the multidock. 

It's not gona open all of them - only the window you have focus on. Let's say you have the Piano Roll open at fullscreen - hitting "D" will toggle between the Track View and PRV. 

a) I agree with @Will., it's the reset of the dock that's the problem.  I want to tell it, never dock, no matter what I do, even if I beg and scream...until I change the option.

b) I thought @msmcleod's pointer to the Windows magnifier would do what I want, but no.  It magnifies the whole screen, losing context of where you are in the bigger picture; and when you just need it for a second, you have to do the key combination to make it go away.  I like rather the midi magnifier way.

6 minutes ago, Ronman said:

I thought @msmcleod's pointer to the Windows magnifier would do what I want, but no.  It magnifies the whole screen, losing context of where you are in the bigger picture; and when you just need it for a second, you have to do the key combination to make it go away.  I like rather the midi magnifier way.

Change the Magnifier to the Lens view.

Keyboard shortcut CTRL+ALT+L

For more info see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-magnifier-to-make-things-on-the-screen-easier-to-see-414948ba-8b1c-d3bd-8615-0e5e32204198#:~:text=Turn on Magnifier-,To quickly turn on Magnifier%2C press the Windows logo key,> Magnifier > Turn on Magnifier.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

For some weird reason this CTRL + ALT + L didn't work for me....   CTRL + ALT + M  (which cycles through the magnifier views) did though.

You're right though - Lens view is the one to use.

• Like 1