This is just plain weird

John Vere

I have often opened projects created on the main DAW on my Office computer and in 20 years or swapping files around never had an issue other than missing plug ins but Cakewalk always opened. Not today. First I was getting the message posted below. Everything would freeze up and had to use Task Manager.  

I had just installed Bitwig ( waste of time) so I uninstalled thinking it might be the "Other Program" I rebooted etc. Still same message. It seemed to hang up right at Addictive drums so I started thinking that was out of date. 

I couldn't open the online installer so I downloaded it and tried to run it?? no go. A quick flash and nothing. Re booted, computer totally freaks out and I end up in the Bios?? A virus? From Plug in Boutique? I did the correct thing Unplugged the computer and went and poured a glass of wine and enjoyed my dinner. 

After dinner computer booted very slowly but it worked. Tried Cakewalk and it opened no problem but any of my new projects from the main DAW resulted in Cakewalk crashing with no toast. I tried a project created locally and it worked fine> It also had Addictive drums and piano. Note- all my projects have AD. 

Mystery. Everything but the projects from my main DAW worked just fine. 

I retried XLN installer and it worked this time and updated. 

Now those projects open fine?? I guess Addictive drums and Pianos updated on the main DAW but were not updated on this one. Just goes to show you how fussy Cakewalk is about plug ins. my goodness.  

It's been a long time since I've seen Cakewalk crash and often you have people posting here about crashes. I'm 100% convinced if Cakewalk crashes....it's something wrong with a plug in. 

Oh by the way, I tried Safe mode and Cakewalk did open but the audio engine gave me Error #9 = Midi buffer settings?? 

Same project opens fine now and I've been working on it for 30 minutes no problem. 

I wished XLN would warn about updates. 

Screenshot (350).png

Screenshot (351).png

Edited by John Vere