plugin sorting menu behavior changes

Hello there. It used to be (say, a year or two ago) that I could have a different sorting method for the right-click plugin insert menu in the track view, versus the plugin browser. I would keep the track view right-click menu set to a particular concise layout I've created with my most-used plugins, while maintaining the "sort by manufacturer" setting in the browser to have access to all of my plugins as well as any which I'm demoing or otherwise don't wish to have in the concise plugin layout. I remember that this was a bit wonky, in that the browser layout would periodically revert to another layout (or something, I'm not remembering it exactly), but it worked well enough.

I'm currently on the latest version of Cakewalk (2019.05), and it seems that the browser menu and right-click menu are both always set to the same layout.

Is this how other people are experiencing it?

I would like it if we could go back to having the different menus sort independently.

@btbrock I would keep both different too. Because I have so many plugins, when I right click to put an fx in the bin, I am presented a list that is so long and you can only scroll through it one at a time, it makes that list unusable for me. If I want a plugin at the bottom of the list, it takes way too long to get there.

So I have gotten use to using the Browser. It's search function works really great too! And now because the Right Click menu keeps recently used plugins at the top, you can use it to drop in the same plugins to different trks.

I also have views that don't have a browser open, and for those views (Screen Sets) I hit 'B' to bring it up the Browser and close it.

• Like 1

Yes this was removed since it seemed over complex to have different plugin layouts for each menu. For some people it can be confusing to not know why plugins show up one way in the browser and another way in the track menu. Generally the browser is a far quicker way to locate plugins once you get used to the search tool and the sort orders that you can specify from the dropdown on the plugin browser toolbar.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks for your response.  In general I'd prefer that when you remove or simplify features to make the program easier for some people, you consider retaining the more advanced behavior as an option, but I appreciate you taking the time to explain your reasoning. The recent plugins list in the right-click menu actually messes up my concise plugin menu layout anyway, so I may as well get used to the new workflow.