tleaustin

Can't get virtual instruments to record

Kevin-

Thanks for the reply. The virtual computer keyboard just starts the recording going, but still nothing records. I see that there are virtual MIDI controllers that you can download, but I hate downloading stuff from the internet that you don't know who the heck made, and if they are going to hack you.

• Like 1

I can't see as the Simple Instrument Track (SIT) doesn't display MIDI input, but my guess is that its MIDI track is either not configured to use the virtual keyboard as its input or the note range is wrong (do you get any MIDI recorded at all on the SIT track?).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Please excuse any over simplification here, or repeated info from earlier posts. I am trying to make this statement as complete and brief as possible.

There are two different things related to recording virtual instruments that need to be understood, since a virtual instrument uses two tracks, one for MIDI input, and one for audio output. You can record either or both, and the setup will vary depending on what you need to accomplish.

1. MIDI input. Record the MIDI data that you perform via a MIDI controller set to the track input. MIDI has no sound, it is essentially only note and controller data. Note: if you are playing back a MIDI file or MIDI loop pattern (often included in drum instruments), you already have the MIDI data. So there is no need to be concerned with recording any more MIDI for this instrument. However, if you are performing the MIDI part in real-time from an external keyboard controller or MIDI drum pads, you may wish to capture the MIDI from that performance, for further editing, etc.

This here excellent video covers the MIDI recording for a drum virtual instrument. It is queued up to begin at 6:45 in the video (Adding Instruments), but you may want to view from the beginning. Mike is a great tutor!

2. Audio output. To capture the audio output of a virtual instrument, if that is what you are trying to do, is a bit different.

Scroll down to "To record Audio Only". You will need to insert an additional audio track for this purpose, as it will be explained here:

To record audio only

You can treat a soft synth like an external hardware synthesizer and record only the synth audio instead of the MIDI performance.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=SoftSynths.27.html

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

Hello Everyone,

I am facing a problem from some days. I have a plugin of virtual keyboard (surrealistic mg plus), from some days i am not able to record the instruments, when press Record button and start to play that virtual inst., it doesnt create the waveform and no recording done.

Can you please help to figure out this issue, I think some setting has been changed.

Regards 

record vst issue.png

Hi Everyone,

Just compared with my old laptop settings, If you also have the same problem , you can checkout this point also.

when you add the vst instrument track , Please check the option of "enable MIDIoutput", it should be flagged.

All the best. Happy recording.

Instrument tracks like the one shown in the image record MIDI data.

They display audio waveforms only when the track is frozen. 

The Surrealistic MG-1 VST3 has Enable MIDI Output selected by default but it is not necessary for recording.

There is not enough information in

4 hours ago, Dewanshu Mathur said:

i am not able to record the instruments, when press Record button and start to play that virtual inst., it doesnt create the waveform and no recording done.

How is the instrument being played while recording - a hardware controller, the virtual controller or the keyboard on the plug-in UI?

6 hours ago, Dewanshu Mathur said:

Hello Everyone,

I am facing a problem from some days. I have a plugin of virtual keyboard (surrealistic mg plus), from some days i am not able to record the instruments, when press Record button and start to play that virtual inst., it doesnt create the waveform and no recording done.

Can you please help to figure out this issue, I think some setting has been changed.

Regards 

record vst issue.png

Of course there's no waveform.  Read abacab's earlier post.

7 hours ago, Dewanshu Mathur said:

Hello Everyone,

Regards 

record vst issue.png