I Tried to Beat The Postal Service, Now My PC Is Dead

kitekrazy

https://www.reviewgeek.com/104016/i-tried-to-beat-the-postal-service-now-my-pc-is-dead/

A mystery as to why this happened.  

Odd thing happened last night.  I had a phone charger that doesn't seem to charge anymore.  So I plugged it in to see if it would charge on my AMD system and I thought it killed it.  No power on the board and I wondered what art got fried.  Instead of taking everything apart and testing with spare parts I decided to try something simple like replacing the battery. It worked. Amazing how those little batteries are the cause and solutions. I was afraid to have to buy another board, CPU, and RAM.  I can still build an AMD 6 core rig cheap but it's not cheap when you have to pay for it.

• Confused 1

I know it's Christmas and we all had to spend time with our inlaws today and we're all high or drunk or both, but could you run that post by me one more time please? You plugged your phone charger in to your AMD system and thought you fried the phone, the charger, or the PC? What battery did you replace, the one in your lawn mower or weed whacker? I'm so confused.

If you replaced the battery in your PC and that brought it back to life, then what actually happened was you reset the BIOS when you took the battery out and it had nothing to do with the new battery. But I'm not sure what I just read so I'm just speculating.

I turned on my Korg X5 one day after having it for 25 years and the screen was all Japanese symbols and nothing worked. So for the heck of it I checked the backup battery and it was at 0 volts so I replaced the battery and that fixed it. Then I took the battery back out and soldered in a battery holder so after another 25 years I wouldn't have to mess with soldering again and I could just pop another battery in real quick. Totally worth it!

Edited by Shane_B.
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 10:40 PM, Shane_B. said:

I know it's Christmas and we all had to spend time with our inlaws today and we're all high or drunk or both, but could you run that post by me one more time please? You plugged your phone charger in to your AMD system and thought you fried the phone, the charger, or the PC? What battery did you replace, the one in your lawn mower or weed whacker? I'm so confused.

If you replaced the battery in your PC and that brought it back to life, then what actually happened was you reset the BIOS when you took the battery out and it had nothing to do with the new battery. But I'm not sure what I just read so I'm just speculating.

I turned on my Korg X5 one day after having it for 25 years and the screen was all Japanese symbols and nothing worked. So for the heck of it I checked the backup battery and it was at 0 volts so I replaced the battery and that fixed it. Then I took the battery back out and soldered in a battery holder so after another 25 years I wouldn't have to mess with soldering again and I could just pop another battery in real quick. Totally worth it!

That was it.  I had a portable phone charger you could charge using USB.  I was surprised what happened. It's an older but reliable machine.