FYI: SI and Session Drummer 3 toms sample variety

Dave G

Question

[ This isn't a Q&A post; simply an FYI from one semi-novice to others in regards to choosing the right General MIDI drum kit. ]

In my experimenting with the SI Drums and Session Drummer 3 toms samples, I've noticed something interesting.

First, quick reference of all toms notes on the GM keyboard:

• 50:  High Tom
  • 48:  High-Mid Tom
  • 47:  Low-Mid Tom
  • 45:  Low Tom
  • 43:  High Floor Tom
  • 41:  Low Floor Tom

Typically, the three tom drums (High Tom, Low Tom, Floor Tom) play two tones each: high and mid. Therefore, you have six tom sounds for some drum kits.
However, some drum kits in the SI Drums and Session Drummer families only play three tom samples rather than six. They are:

• SI:  Default, In Yo Face, and the two Nice kits
  • SD3:  Most of these drum kits (i.e. GroovyKit, Steven Slate_OldZepKit and DarkLordOfTheSeth) only offer three tom sounds

Also, I've noticed that some drum kits' floor toms play at higher pitch than the high toms.

I'm sure there are easier ways to discover this, as I simply drew all six notes onto my PRV and played them on loop through each kit.

I know that these drum sounds can be tweaked infinitely. I also have Addictive Drums, but I like to use SI and SD3 occasionally.

Just thought I'd share this info which I found useful for choosing a drum kit with all six toms sounds. :)

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet