My Handcramp page

Bapu

I was watching an Unknown Hinson interview. I love that man. He's a hillbilly rockabilly vampire. LOL!

He said he is left handed but his dad made him switch to playing a right handed guitar because his fretting hand was the stronger hand ... hence my point about so called lefty guitars actually being right handed and vice versa. 

c0042346e1c51a7184c9ccd9ba5147c7.jpg

Edited by Shane_B.

I dunno. No matter what they call it, I play the less conventional way. And it sucks. It's impossible to find a decent lefty local. None of them will invest in having one around yet I see overpriced Gibson's and USA Fenders out the wazoo everywhere. And they are there for months, if not years.

*deleted* Never mind. Cryin' won't help me and prayin' won't do me no good.

You righty's have it so good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 2:54 PM, Shane_B. said:

<...snip...>

He said he is left handed but his dad made him switch to playing a right handed guitar because his fretting hand was the stronger hand ... hence my point about so called lefty guitars actually being right handed and vice versa. <...>

I totally agree.

I play a few instruments, and guitar is one of them. I'm a righty, but on the guitar my left hand works much harder than my right. The right hand just has to pluck or strum, work the whammy and twiddle the volume knob at times. The left hand has to get into so many contorted positions, be careful not to make the string buzz, don't stretch the string when you want to play in tune, bend it just the right amount when you want to play out of tune, and move up and down the neck to different positions.

IMO the right-handed guitar is a left-handed instrument.

I was in a band with a lefty guitar player. He played an SG so he could flip it around either way. He learned on a so called left-handed guitar, but his brother played a right-handed one, so he always had access to both. He would play both ways and we did a tune where he went out in front to play a solo, in the middle of his solo the drummer took a 4 bar break, he flipped the guitar over, and continued where he left off. It was a good bit of theatrics for the audience.

Anyway, he said he played better on the right-handed guitar, and he is the first one to tell me the standard guitar is a left-handed instrument.

While I'm at it, so is the saxophone.

I can play two octaves of G, G#, A, Bb, B, C and C# with my left hand only. I can also play the highest D and Eb with only my left hand.

There is only one noted that I can play without the left hand, the middle C# because it takes no fingers to play.

They don't make right-handed saxes, flutes, or clarinets.

I think the standard drum kit is a right-handed instrument (yes, I play drums too) because my dominant foot kicks the bass drum and my right dominant hand does more work and takes care of the majority of accents during rolls.

Piano keyboard instruments are right-handed, because the melody most often gets played by your dominant hand. (Yup, I play keyboards too, but not well enough to take a gig in a band and play all night, but I will double on keys in a band).

I don't play them, but it seems that Violins, Violas, Cellos and Double-Basses are also left-handed instruments. It seems the fingering hand works harder than the bowing hand.

So are people who buy a left-handed guitar doing the right thing for themselves? Perhaps or perhaps not.

Insights, incites and musings by Noes ♫