Fit Improvisation Issues

John Jesensky

Hello Everybody!

Thanks in advance for your help.  I have been attempting to lay midi tracks on top of an existing recording, and for some reason Fit Improvisation is just NOT working for me.  I created a MIDI Tempo Map track (you can see that in the provided image) where I literally just poked in notes keeping time with the existing recorded audio.

When I just play back the audio with my "poked in" tempo map, it lines up very well.  However, as soon as I click "Fit Improvisation" things get all screwy and I can actually hear how the playback on my tempo map goes all over the map.

Also:  I DO have several different breaks on the tempo map.  I have tried processing "Fit Improvisation" both with and without bouncing to clip so that it becomes one single midi take.  No matter what, I still end up with tempo going form 186 to 217 to 154 etc etc and my map absolutely not lining up with the recording.

Finally:  I am in 2/2 time.  I don't know if this becomes an issue for Cakewalk, but I AM playing a note every single half note on the tempo map, so one would think it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again for any help you can provide!

John

Improv Issue.jpg

The track you use as a guide track for Fit to Improvisation is sacrificial. Its timing will go out of sync with the timeline and existing MIDI and Audio to which you're trying to align the timeline with tempo changes. If you want to keep a copy that stays in sync, copy it to another track or to another lane in the same track before executing Fit.

Edited by David Baay