apt

FR: Absolute Time Offset for MIDI Tracks (by ms)

In many sample libraries it requires a "negative delay" to the midi track (e.g. -100ms).

For example, using Strings Staccato, there is an "attack" before the "rhythmic start point" of a note. If you simply set the sample start to that rhythmic start point, it would be unnatual. The only way to both keep the piano roll tidy and hear the notes in rhythm, is to apply a negative offset to the midi track.

But it seems that the "time +" in Cakewalk's midi tracks is by "midi time" (ticks), not by ms.

image.png.29235ce63c5a051f7c9efc45f2cc3876.png

In most cases, it's okay to manually convert ms to ticks according to the tempo. But if I have severe tempo changes in the project, the absolute time offset would not be consistent.

For example, this is a tempo change cueve which is common as a transition between two sections:

image.png.32a39a1390d4b760d7eea93d65ac4839.png

If there's a midi track with time offset by ticks, and you do this, the notes that begin at the 8->120 jump would come out much earlier than expected.

In Cubase and many other DAWs, you can apply an absolute time offset to midi tracks.

Hoping to see this feature in Cakewalk.

what if you set the "nudge" keys to 100ms? (or other values - mine are set to1ms, 1/32nd note, and 10ms respectively) i know it works for audio.

I'll second this request. I regularly use negative track delay. 

@Glenn Stanton That's a good thought, but although nudging notes will work, it's extremely labor intensive when you have many MIDI tracks (my projects usually run 20-30) and doesn't allow you do cut, paste, and duplicate whole bars and arranger sections cleanly. Also nudging is destructive, meaning if you nudge, then change tempo the timing going to off again whereas real time negative delay accounts for the tempo when the note is played.