Crashing with external clock

Nick Howes

System is a Dell E6530 I7 with 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Latest build of Windows 10

Roland VM3100 mixer, SPDIF connected to an M-Audio Fasttrack Ultra. 

Everything works like a charm, apart from if I attempt to launch Cakewalk with the clock set to external on the M-Audio ASIO control panel, it locks up on start. Tried the same with VSTi's in Nanoost, no problem, with Reaper, no problem.

Clock out on the VM is 24/44.1K

If I launch Cakewalk with clock internal, no problem, apart from nothing comes in to the M-Audio on those channels (7/8) from the VM3100 (as it will only record when clock is external). If I set clock to external "after" starting Cakewalk, it works perfectly no issues... so it's just on launch

I tried clocking the Vm3100 from a Behringer UCA202 on a second laptop, and then SPDIF out from the VM3100 to the M-Audio on the Dell, same issue. Same things worked/didn't work

Demo version of Cubase, again, no issue with ext clock, so I know it's not the setup, or the drivers for the M-Audio etc...

Any thoughts appreciated... as I say it literally locks on the splash screen, and the only way around it is a force quit and kill all Cakewalk processed, launch something else, set the clock on the M-Audio control panel to Internal, then re-launch Cakewalk

Not insurmountable, but a bit of a pain