Issue with Waves NX 5.1 and Abbey Road 5.1 Plugins for Surround

As I don't have a 5.1 setup any longer (no 6-Channel audio interface and no 5.1 speaker system) I have been trying to set up Cakewalk to work with either the Waves NX 1.5/Stereo or Abbey Road Studio 3 5.1/Stereo plugins so that I can mix surround in my headphones.

I did a quick test where I created a Surround Buss and then have (6) tracks being sent to this Buss, each of which I am panning to each of the (5) different surround speaker locations (L, R, C, sL and sR) and (1) track that I am sending to the LFE channel.

When playing back, the VU meters on that Surround bus do indeed show different levels for all (6) Channels. However, when I insert any 5.1 Plugin (Waves NX, Abbey Road Studio 3, H-Reverb, etc...) into the Send effects of that Surround buss (either Pre fader or Post fader), the input section on the plugin only shows audio on the L and R channels and nothing on the other channels...no matter what I change or do.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2021 at 11:43 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Cakewalk currently doesnt support surround VST’s so only the first two channels will be utilized from the plugin. 3 instances will be used each utilizing  the first two channels.

Is there a roadmap to support surround VST's? I would really like to be able to use the surround capabilities of NX too and I can see the demand is increasing day by day for surround and Dolby Atmos mixing. I have a project in the works that will need surround mixing in the near future and I'd hate to have to use another DAW as I've used Cakewalk since the late 90's. (it was still named Cakewalk at that point and not Sonar yet)

Thanks a lot. Bandlab's work is appreciated.