Headphones not showing as an output on Cakewalk

Adam Porter

Question

Hi all,

I have an Alesis Nitro EDrum kit and I have it triggering via USB a VST Drum kit in Cakewalk which is great. However I want to put headphones on to listen to what I am playing and Cakewalk is not recognising that there is a headphone output on my laptop. 

As a broader issue I am trying to work out how best to set up my EDrums to record the audio and to use Cakewalk to monitor my drumming.

I have my Alesis Nitro plugged in to my laptop via USB and the VST is triggering the MIDI sounds in Cakewalk

If I plug my headphones into the drum module I get that horrible screechy "computer noise" feeding back through the USB and drum module and if I plug my headphones into my laptop heaphone output the audio doesn't "divert" to the headphones and continues to play out of my laptop speakers.

I've been trying different the different Driver Modes and some of them show nothing and some show various inputs. 

Can anyone let me know what the best setup is to run a EDrum via USB to a laptop to trigger VST and monitor through heaphones plugged into laptop.

Running Windows 10

Input Drivers.JPG

3 answers to this question

What is the make and model? 

If the drum machine is like one my son owns it is an audio interface as well. So the USB is not only midi, but audio too. 

If you are trying to record it  to an audio track and have input echo on,  shut it off. This might cause a feedback loop. 

Otherwise if you are only using midi tracks it is possible to also create a midi loopback so same thing, disable input echo. 

Edited by John Vere