Adam Grossman

Cakewalk Stays In Memory After Exit / Cannot Re-Launch

Hello,

So I have had this problem for so many years dating back to at least Sonar X3.  But sometimes I close out of the program and it still stays in memory.  I can't reopen unless I kill it from here.

Any ideas?

image.png.d5e4d689105d92ab41f0e16c36df6169.png

• Like 1

I just recently wrote in another thread about this same exactly problem that I have:

For me it's more a combination of these plugins is the problem rather than driver. How can I check it?

11 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Is your interface still switched on?

If so it might well be preventing the Cakewalk app to close properly

yes it is, but this has happened with numerous different setups over the years with different interfaces.

Posted (edited)

It will also (initially) fail to open after the splash screen if ANY other program is using ANY other sound device. This and the OP's issue have been a constant feature set shared by NO other DAW or program. 🥴

"Exclusive control" is deactivated.

This and the OP are my most requested fixes before any other feature or bug fix.

(Edited)

Edited by sjoens

I've had it happen if 1) samples haven't finished loading and I close the project or 2) a misbehaving plug-in and just right click on Cakewalk in Task Manager and close it manually.

Posted (edited)

For me, in these 2 cases, the Task Manager trick never works. Usually requires shutting  it all down with a system reboot.

Sometimes the (initial) Fail to Open scenario can be fixed by closing the offending program which releases the audio. 

(Edited)

Edited by sjoens

22 minutes ago, sjoens said:

For me, in these 2 cases, the Task Manager trick never works. Usually requires shutting  it all down with a system reboot.

Sometimes the Fail to Open scenario can be fixed by closing the offending program which releases the audio. 

That actually looks like interface driver conflict as opposed to what seems happening in my case or the topic starter.

In my case Cakewalk Application stays in Background Processes occupying around 685MB of memory. @ADUS do you use any particular plugins/soft synths when this is happening?

Posted (edited)

Sorry, by Fail to Open I meant initially opening CbB when another program is using any type of audio source.

Edited by sjoens

If it fails to open (or close) capture a dump file from task manager and send us a link. That will show why its hanging.
Instructions for capturing a crash dump manually are in the FAQ and my signature.

Posted (edited)

Problem is, it doesn't open so it's not in memory or listed in Task Manager. 

Windows Report.wer file may have clues?

If so, I have 68 of 'em from 11/1/20 to 5/9/21.

Report.wer

Edited by sjoens

Sometimes my cakewalk freezes etc. and after I close it down the midi activity icon in the bottom right corner of the task bar (the one with usb discount icon) is still live.  Open and shut down cakewalk fixes that problem.  Work around that works.

I've been having frequent hangs on exit also for last month or so.  Don't run anything 32bit that I'm aware of.  Often Taskmgr won't close it.  Sometimes command line taskkill will stop it but it's stubborn, often taking a while or multiple repeats of taskkill.  Sometimes requires reboot.  I just submitted problem report and link to dump of recent hang according to the FAQ dump procedure using procdump64.