Colin Nicholls

Drum Maps In Cakewalk - In Depth

Posted (edited)

Here's everything I know about using Drum Maps in Cakewalk.

Blog Post: Drum Maps in Cakewalk

Feel free to let me know about errors, or other posts I should link to, or indeed anything.

EDIT: I've already added some additional notes, and fixed some errors.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 4

One tool to speed up simple drum map creation is ins2map.

From the old forum http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-Cakewalk-by-BandLab-CbB-Resources-and-Utilities-m3392713.aspx#3481456

Ins2map.zip (Listed Nov 18 2015)
ralf (Ralf Sesseler)
This tool will convert an instrument definition (ins file) into a drum map for Cakewalk SONAR. (Essentially, any text file with a mapping from midi note number to drum instrument name can be used.) The created drum map uses default values for most parameters and is not linked to a particular virtual instrument, so it's mainly the first step and may require enhancements to be done in SONAR directly. 
Download and Further Information http://dis.sesseler.de/ In the left menu area, click on “Cakewalk SONAR”. Then select “Instrument to Drum Map” to download the file.

Thanks for keeping this topic alive. Colin I will read it in detail. and scook I know you are always on top of all things Cakewalk. I am a beginner so it's taking me a while to get it together. Making progress, but with a 1802 page Reference Manual it'll be a while. I can Record, and make mp3s for my music friends. Starting to learn to Edit Waveforms, Learning the Izotope Community Appreciation bundle(I really like it ! Especially the AI and the digital aspect) I'm not an Analog person except for restoring my totally analog 1951 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. (Not a computer chip in it).(I am frustrated that I can't seem to get the Pads on my Arturia Mini Lab mk2 to play the SI-Drumkit (but working on it  Been in Pandemic Music Studio Prison for over a year now. I've attached a Track & Waveform Zoom cheat sheet that you guys probably have already memorized. But there must be someone that will find it useful. 

Cakewalk Keyboard Zoom Short Cuts.pdf