CbB Laptop Install - Best folder locations for programs, add-ons, data

RFHusband

I've been struggling with my Cakewalk by Bandlab installation on a MS Surface Pro 4 with a small C hard disk drive and have decided to finally install the software right. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any guidance for a best practice installation for locations of folders for programs, add-ons, and data. Here are the resources available to me:

• Drive C - 117 GB M.2 Samsung SSD
  • Drive D - 238 GB SDXC card
  • Drive E - 1.36 TB USB Seagate
  • Drive G - 3.63 TB USB Seagate

External drives E and G are spinning drives. I am thinking I should likely be getting an external SSD (USB 3.?) but don't know if it should be dedicated to VST libaries or project files or both. Or if this proposed higher speed SSD drive is even required at all for this software.

Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to wade in with a suggested approach. - Bob

P.S. BTW, I am a long time Cakewalk (DOS) and Sonar user with earlier add-ons and project files I hope to move into this repurposed laptop. Once I have a clear idea of where folders will be located then I'll figure out how to install Sonar Platinum into a similar file structure before loading CbB.

Edited by RFHusband

I have an Acer laptop with the same drive configuration as yours. It’s just an old beater but I use it for mobile recording and as a backup system to my main DAW. 

I have just my software on the C drive and it’s sitting at 69% now. I store everything else on the 240 data drive and it’s at 56% right now.  I  keep the live recording original copies there as well as VST libraries, movies and any documents 

I have a SSD DRIVE in a USB enclosure that I will work from so I can move between the 2 computers. That has all my projects as well as my software installers and VST back ups  for when I rebuild a machine 

Ive never had issues working from the USB 3 SSD drive. Seems same as using internal 

Edited by John Vere

Very helpful reply, John. Good to hear I can safely split up folder locations without breaking the app. Brilliant idea to copy projects, VST backups, and software installers to the movable SSD drive for use on a different DAW.

One clarifying question for you: Are your live recording original copies on the 240 GB drive just for the current project you are working on, and then you copy project folders to SSD once done? 

Since you didn't mention any concerns about drive transfer speed for your C and 240 data drive I am now wondering if I should just simplify the whole thing by installing all on the large USB G drive (programs, plug-ins, data drive, and VST libraries). This would eliminate space concerns about the already full C drive plus simplify backup and restore scenarios for drive G. I don't know if Windows 10 will have issues with a program installed on an external/removable USB drive and can't find anyone else's comments about doing such a thing. Also, I can delay buying the SSD unit until I see if speed issues demand a faster transfer rate (I was debating with myself about speed limitations of the spinning HDD and so am leaning towards putting the VST libraries on the proposed SSD for speed of loading during a session).

I neglected to mention in the first post how much space is available on each of the drives:

Drive C - 117 GB M.2 Samsung SSD (27 GB free)

Drive D - 238 GB SDXC card (87 GB free) - 

Drive E - 1.36 TB USB Seagate (947 GB free)

Drive G - 3.63 TB USB Seagate (2.5 TB free) 

Does my logic make sense based on your experience with laptops? Have you thought about installing the entire app and related folders on a dedicated external drive or are there concerns I am not considering?

Thanks again.