Jump to content
Jacques Boileau

SSL native plugins become unresponsive

Recommended Posts

I use two SSL native plugins: the channel strip and bus compressor. After a while working on a project, all instances of both types of plugins' UI becomes unresponsive. The VU's do not show anything, compressor leds do not lit, etc. But I can still turn pots and hear the plugin doing its work. So it seems it's only the UI that is affected. But all instances on all tracks and buses exhibit the problem at the same time, so I guess it could be Cakewalk related.

I have yet to pinpoint what maneuver I do in Cakewalk that triggers this behaviour unfortunately.

For now, closing Cakewalk and reopening it solves the problem, albeit being annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Which  SSL native plugins? 
And what versions?

Edited by Max Arwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Which  SSL native plugins? 
And what versions?

The SSL Native 'Essentials Bundle' which includes: ChannelStrip and Bus Compressor.

I have installed the latest version which is 6.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Do you have another DAW to try them in? 

also have you tried here?

https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I don't use other DAWs at the moment since I am quite satisfied using Cakewalk.

Thanks for the link to the SSL support desk. I couldn't find it myself. I'll send them the problem and see what they have to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very often these bizarre kind of issues are due to graphics drivers. Have u tried to see if there's an update for your graphic card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

Very often these bizarre kind of issues are due to graphics drivers. Have u tried to see if there's an update for your graphic card?

Good point! I just checked and my integrated Intel graphic driver is at the latest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, razor7music said:

I use SSL plug-ins and don't have this issue.

Thanks for the info, that helps! That probably means there is something in my installation that is causing the problem. Strange though that it is the only plugins that exhibit this behavior...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 5:15 PM, Jacques Boileau said:

Good point! I just checked and my integrated Intel graphic driver is at the latest...

Well was worth a try!

Incidentally, I use the SSLs as well (just got 'em a couple months ago when they were on offer) and they work just fine, so yes, gotta be something specific to your system. Hard to say what. Maybe checking the Event Viewer can give some hints of possible malfunctions?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jacques Boileau I doubt that its related to your install. If the plugin UI stops working after playing for some time it looks like an internal bug in the plugin (memory leak, or some overflow condition maybe). You should report this to the plugin vendor with any steps you remember and perhaps send them a project file for diagnosis.
Only they can help with this issue since it is unlikely to be related to Cakewalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Jacques Boileau I doubt that its related to your install. If the plugin UI stops working after playing for some time it looks like an internal bug in the plugin (memory leak, or some overflow condition maybe). You should report this to the plugin vendor with any steps you remember and perhaps send them a project file for diagnosis.
Only they can help with this issue since it is unlikely to be related to Cakewalk.

Thanks @Noel Borthwick. I am in contact with them and will post back results here from my inquiry when I get more feedback.

I do agree that it does not seem to be Cakewalk related and I posted here mostly because this forum is so full of knowledgeable people. But the only thing that bothers me is that all instances stop working at the same time. Do different instances of a plugin share common code or memory that would explain that they would all stop working together? It would also mean that the two different plugin, channel strip, and bus compressor, would share common ressources. I am a software developer but I have no experience in VSTs. Are they a bit like DLLs and share common resources?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Thanks @Noel Borthwick. I am in contact with them and will post back results here from my inquiry when I get more feedback.

I do agree that it does not seem to be Cakewalk related and I posted here mostly because this forum is so full of knowledgeable people. But the only thing that bothers me is that all instances stop working at the same time. Do different instances of a plugin share common code or memory that would explain that they would all stop working together? It would also mean that the two different plugin, channel strip, and bus compressor, would share common ressources. I am a software developer but I have no experience in VSTs. Are they a bit like DLLs and share common resources?

Absolutely! Its very common for plugins to share common state across all instances. In fact this is likely the root cause of the bug so you should pass on this information to SSL. We are also in touch with their engineering so if there is any thing they need from us you can ask them to contact me.
Yes VST plugins are nothing but dlls and individual instances live in the same dll. With Waves you can have a single dll (the waves shell) hosting all their plugins. Its less likely that different plugin types will share common state but its really up to the manufacturer to how they implement it so its not far fetched that if a channel strip stopped working an open bus compressor may have the same issue.  Since you are a developer you know that if there is global state shared and that state is modified unexpectedly it will affect all clients that use that state.

Does the problem only affect already open plugins or does it also affect newly inserted plugins of the same type?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Does the problem only affect already open plugins or does it also affect newly inserted plugins of the same type?

New inserted plugins of the same type exhibit the problem too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definitely something internal to the plugin. They should be able to solve it if you give them this information. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This is definitely something internal to the plugin. They should be able to solve it if you give them this information. 

I have transmitted this information and a link to this thread to Tim Shortle at SSL support.

Thanks Noel!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...