The 13th way to achieve silent output.

John Vere

One of the wonderful things about using any DAW is the way it can all of a sudden go silent on you and there might be a dozen reasons. I know those so it's gotta be a doozer when I end up stumped. 

I was working on some old live recordings ,  audio tracks and no effects are added yet.  I wanted the console view on my second monitor. Workspaces usually fixes this but it didn't so I just undocked the multi dock and I dragged it over to the second monitor. Something I've done a million times. 

Weird. why is the DB33 organ VST GUI open?  I pressed a GUI key and it makes sound? There's no midi or instruments tracks?? How can you have a VST with no tracks, Checked the track manager, nope, no track. I opened the synth rack and it's there. But I can't remove it?? 

Oh well, I'll deal with that later, No, I've got no sound on playback now. I start going over the dozen ways that a project can be silent, I even checked my monitor system as OK. Then when I checked the master buss output I spot the DB33 in the effects bin. ? Luckily it let me delete it there. But the weirdness is how on earth did it get there to begin with. My only guess is as I dragged the console view over the Browser it grabbed it somehow. 

So add that to your troubleshooting list of things to check when a bus or track goes silent. A VST instrument in the bin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1