solarlux

Direct sidechaining routing options from plugin

On 2/13/2021 at 4:25 PM, Kevin Perry said:

OK, I see: I don't think that's a good idea without immediately offering the level and pre/post settings - it's half-baked and will lead to more questions/poor usage.  And adding those extra controls in to a popup could easily become unwieldy.

For me, the benefits would be, in order of importance:

1. Faster workflow when selecting side-chain source. Example: I add the compressor plugin to the bass and with a minimum of fuss, I could select the side-chain source as well. This would be a drop-down in the VST plugin window header, see the Logic screenshot in an earlier post.

2. More easily understand existing routing. Example: I open an older project and look at the compressor plugin and with a quick glance I can see which tracks are feeding the compressor side-chain (it could be multiple).

As it is now, you have to hunt for sends by going through all your audio tracks ... 😅

Adding the possibility to be able to adjust send level from the VST plugin header as well, in addition to doing this from the source track, would be cool!

Is it "bad UI" to be able to adjust the same setting from two different places? I don't know. But in this case, I don't care. 😁

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 5:35 PM, GreenLight said:

For me, the benefits would be, in order of importance:

1. Faster workflow when selecting side-chain source. Example: I add the compressor plugin to the bass and with a minimum of fuss, I could select the side-chain source as well. This would be a drop-down in the VST plugin window header, see the Logic screenshot in an earlier post.

2. More easily understand existing routing. Example: I open an older project and look at the compressor plugin and with a quick glance I can see which tracks are feeding the compressor side-chain (it could be multiple).

As it is now, you have to hunt for sends by going through all your audio tracks ... 😅

Adding the possibility to be able to adjust send level from the VST plugin header as well, in addition to doing this from the source track, would be cool!

Is it "bad UI" to be able to adjust the same setting from two different places? I don't know. But in this case, I don't care. 😁

Yes and also when 100 tracks and easier to track sidechained sends

• Like 1

Maybe additional ideas how this feature would be best ? level control, post or pre send or other controls ?

Edited by solarlux

On 2/17/2021 at 5:12 PM, solarlux said:

Maybe additional ideas how this feature would be best ? level control, post or pre send or other controls ?

Hm, yes either a simple side-chain source select like Logic, or with also a couple of added level controls as well. 👌