Need help from Midi Gurus: 1/4" out to MIDI converter?

Billy86

12 minutes ago, razor7music said:

I've got the AAA maple top trans blue. My mother bought it for me before she passed away. Great guitar!!

I like the Godin LGXT; I also have the ACS Nylon SA and a Fender MIA strat with a roland GK-2A. Currently I'm using an sy-1000 and a gr-55. 

@scook  The demo allowed me to use it as a VST audio plug in. And I used a acoustic guitar to try and see if what the OP was asking would work. As long as the input is hot it will track properly. Soft playing is very glitchy. But midi does not lend it self well to the complications of what an actual guitar sounds like so the end reslut is more piano like than guitar.

The last thing I would use this and midi for is emulating a guitar. If you think about it what's the point?   But it has many uses as a way to create midi to be used for other instruments.  Possibly you might struggle with using a keyboard to input your data if your not a good keyboard player. And this with some tweaking can track cool things like pitch bends and vibrato something a keyboard would not do well. 

For me the guitar to midi  option gives me  a third 3 way to create midi tracks.  Keyboards controllers  and digital drum kits most of us own, but a guitar controller is rare.   

@abacabThe bass I have been using Melodyne drag and drop for a few years now so that does not require any additional hardware or software. I would not use this app for Bass. Much easier to use a real bass and Melodyne. The tracking errors are very few with Melodyne but this app would require twice as much editing I would think. But as said the demo is free to try.

I'm going to keep an eye for a out for a sale price. You can actually get stuff done even with the interruptions and I do have my Godin, I just never have it hooked up these days, but it would work equally as well. What I like about this is the option to take any guitar part and create a parallel midi track. Think about layering possibility's for background.. big fat Polysynths ya! 

I logged on to the site and will get emails They have a Forum and as said above there are a few people from Cakewalk active there. I saw mr Fogle there. 154_2.png 

Edited by John Vere

Not sure how often MIDI Guitar goes on sale.

IIRC, they did a promotion when v2 was released.

I bought  it at the early adopter price of $70 in 2012.

Don't think it is has ever been close to that since.

Nice to see they have added a functional VST to the demo.

18 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The last thing I would use this and midi for is emulating a guitar. If you think about it what's the point?   

I don't have the set up to record acoustic guitar at the pristine level, both in tone and fidelity, that VSTs have captured.  I just don't have the great acoustically treated room to do that in my bedroom. I have a Roland digital drum kit, so that's more direct triggering drum VSTs, and I have multiple MIDI keyboards, but playing a guitar strum on keyboards doesn't cut it realistically for me. 

To your point: For me, the point is trying to leverage gorgeous guitar tone triggered by my personal strumming/chording. Like I said, programming custom strum patterns in gorgeous sounding VSTs is a serious drag and buzz kill. I have mutiple VST guitars with strum patterns, but sometimes is hard to find one that is just the right feel. Thus, my quest. 

Great input, all. Thanks so much! It seems one thing I could do is record my Tele -- one thing I'm getting from the conversation is that a clean electric can help the capture that will be converted to polyphonic MIDI in Melodyne. Once in MIDI, it can become an acoustic performance.  

• Like 1

In the check out bin it was $140 Can.

1 minute ago, Billy86 said:

I don't have the set up to record acoustic guitar at the pristine level, both in tone and fidelity, that VSTs have captured.  I just don't have the great acoustically treated room to do that in my bedroom. I have a Roland digital drum kit, so that's more direct triggering drum VSTs, and I have multiple MIDI keyboards, but playing a guitar strum on keyboards doesn't cut it realistically for me. 

To your point: For me, the point is trying to leverage gorgeous guitar tone triggered by my personal strumming/chording. Like I said, programming custom strum patterns in gorgeous sounding VSTs is a serious drag and buzz kill. I have mutiple VST guitars with strum patterns, but sometimes is hard to find one that is just the right feel. Thus, my quest. 

What Guitar VST are you using?  All the ones I've tried sound like Harpsicords. There not even close to sounding like what I can get using a simple condenser mike in a normal untreated room. I also mix in my PU often recording 3 tracks. 2 mikes and the PU.   I have tried Strum Session, Ample Guitar M  lite and DSK acoustic. 

I’ve got  Orange Tree Samples Evolution Steel Strings, Applied Acoustics Strum GS2 with a bunch of add-on sound packs, UJam Amber steel string  and nylon-string Silk, 8Dio’s Dobro and 12-string, Native Instruments (Kontakt) Strummed Acoustic I and II, Picked  Acoustic, Electric Sunburst and Electric Sunburst Deluxe from their Session Guitarist series. 

• Like 2

The new guitars in SampleTank 4 Max are nicely sampled! American Strat full keyswitch & 3 pickup settings (6.1GB), Les Paul full keyswitch & 2 pickup settings (4.7GB), Pedal Steel,  also a couple fingered and picked acoustic steel string guitars (each sample set 2-3GB with full keyswitch), and a fingered nylon (3.2GB).

SampleTank 4 SE does contain the Les Paul full keyswitch, and picked steel and fingered nylon acoustics.

And none of them sounds like a harpsichord!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

I haven't signed in for a couple of days and I wound up in this thread w out even knowing it  ....

As far as my situation goes  using Midi guitar ....I started in 1983 ...w hardware and I personally prefer Jam Origins Midi Guitar plugin these days ...

Here's two audio to midi conversions I did a while back ..Both performances are of Joe Pass playing unaccompanied Jazz Guitar .

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13548515

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13311064

both of my clips are non edited in any way , shape , or form ...so all the warts have been left in .....for educational purposes

On the second clip i have the unedited midi performance on the left side of the stereo field and Joe Pass's guitar  performance of All The Things You Are on the right side ...( Left side synth AAS Strum Session )

To really be able to hear the conversion headphones would be best while listening to that clip....even though there is a clam fest going on in places you will notice the Midi Guitar plug kept up w Joe and held its own 😃

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Melodyne Conversion Of Bass

Analog bass part converted to midi in SONAR Splat using the ARA integration Midi bass one side of the stereo field Analog other side of the stereo field

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13308818

I'm only posting these to let you know it can be done ...

As far as strumming chords  ..no current Midi Guitar app of any sort has climbed to the top of that Mountain to my knowledge .

Having said that I hope you get something out of the clips ...

Kenny,

PS all my music features me playing guitar synth ...🤪

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:52 AM, abacab said:

Here is a link to a tune by Kenny that he played guitar and guitar synth on. Nice example of good playing and excellent result!

thanks for the mention abacab !

The synth guitar solo at : 46 is all Jam Origin Midi Guitar

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

One of my most current Midi Guitar Playing example s .

On Milo my jazz playing was all single notes at 1 : 17 so I decided to use Melodyne Essentials to convert my audio over to Midi ...

This took a fair bit of time editing out the glitches in the Piano Roll  ...but hey I like what I did as far as my melodic content  goes ...

On the Cadenza ( 1 : 56 ) I just double up on a few synths ...

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

thanks for the mention abacab !

The synth guitar solo at : 46 is all Jam Origin Midi Guitar

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

One of my most current Midi Guitar Playing example s .

On Milo my jazz playing was all single notes at 1 : 17 so I decided to use Melodyne Essentials to convert my audio over to Midi ...

This took a fair bit of time editing out the glitches in the Piano Roll  ...but hey I like what I did as far as my melodic content  goes ...

On the Cadenza ( 1 : 56 ) I just double up on a few synths ...

Kenny

Hi Kenny, nice to see you are still hanging out and making great music. I really like these new tunes! 👍

The topic of MIDI guitar came up here and so you got mentioned as a practitioner of this mystical art! :)

Good point about strumming chords, as that is probably the holy grail of audio to MIDI note recognition.

Edited by abacab

I found this video which has a fairly good explanation of how to adjust sensitivity of Jam Origin for best results while tracking. In this example he is using a standalone Jam Origin instance as a MIDI input to the DAW. He covers alternate tuning, transposition, and monophonic vs polyphonic modes.

Then in the 2nd half of the video he demonstrates playing it using a Prophet Synth, Keyscape Piano where he plays chords on a piano, and also an Omnisphere Pad. The use of MIDI effects like the harmonizer is interesting!

He shows that there are sometimes stray MIDI notes to clean up after recording, but he doesn't quantize anything because he is trying to capture the human performance.

Probably worth a watch if you are interested in audio to MIDI with a guitar.

Edited by abacab

I occasionally use JamOrigin for converting guitar to MIDI.  I've also got a Roland GI-10 (with a GK2A pickup on my guitar).

I've got to say JamOrigin does just as good a job (if not better) than the Roland GI-10... although the GI-10 is a bit dated nowadays, perhaps more modern devices work better. 

Oh and a quick tip - you've got to set JamOrigin to an ASIO buffer of at least 128 for it to work.

I rarely use either though, as it's rare I need to actually hear the "MIDI version" of the instrument in real time.

Most of the time I just use Melodyne to convert it afterwords. Nothing beats Melodyne.

• Like 1