musekamp

Winter Sketch

Although I've been a guitar player for most of my life, I've started down the road of learning about arranging for orchestral instruments this year.

As I was working on this sketch in A-flat (a very unfamiliar key to me!) it started to become more and more seasonal-sounding ...

So happy holidays to one and all! Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/zNF8l75qOTw

Walt

Thanks for listening and commenting, folks. I appreciate it.

@garybrun Yes! I agree Orchestral Recipes is a great resource. I've also been working my way through it.

• Like 1

Super clean and pleasant upon the wintry ear.

A little idea -maybe try those sleigh bells double-time, with a bit more reverb?

Cool vid as well - nice job!

cheers,

-Tom

• Great Idea 1

I would say you do very well at it meaning a guitarist can pull off the same things as a keys player can. I thought this was great work!

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2020 at 1:07 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Super clean and pleasant upon the wintry ear.

A little idea -maybe try those sleigh bells double-time, with a bit more reverb?

Cool vid as well - nice job!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. When I first put the sleigh bells on, I had them playing sixteenths but I thought it sounded a bit hectic for the rest of the music so I switched them to eighths. I'll have to re-visit this. Thanks for listening and commenting!

Walt,  holiday songs should be melodic and you have one here. Definitely fits the season. Great video too.

-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

Very nice piece and well arranged.   I've been playing with orchestration, too, so it's cool to see others on the same journey.

About halfway through, I really found myself wanting a nice sustained cello to come in, or maybe some bass pizzicato notes to add some low-end.  Just a thought. 

• Thanks 1