SOS 10th annual product awards voting underway

Glenn Stanton

Every month when I read the Features Overview of the latest release I am really impressed with new features and fixes. For me right now, Cakewalk has never been better or better supported. And I wonder, how many other DAWs can be better and when Cakewalk will assume it's rightful position near the top.

Thank you Cakewalk development and maintenance team!

I had to vote "None" on almost all of them because I don't have experience with hardware that came out this year. Everything I use is tried-and-true.

I'm glad that they put CbB in there even though it's not "versioned" in the standard way (which if it were, I think it would be considered at least Cakewalk by BandLab 2.0 by now). That acknowledges that it is a current product that had a couple of major feature upgrades in the past year (Arranger, Articulations).

It will be interesting to see how these polls shake out.

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm glad that they put CbB in there even though it's not "versioned" in the standard way (which if it were, I think it would be considered at least Cakewalk by BandLab 2.0 by now). That acknowledges that it is a current product that had a couple of major feature upgrades in the past year (Arranger, Articulations).

I never thought of version numbers as anything other than a way to tell one version from another. CbB has version numbers. The current one is, at a macro level, 2020.11. If you click Help/About you'll see a more granular version number that starts with 26. I'm not at my DAW right now and can't do that to list it here.

Oh, I know how to spot the Build number in the about box, I was referring to the "major versions" thing that other programs put in the name of the product. Done for marketing purposes. People can feel antsy if they're on an older version and enjoy feeling up-to-date if they're on the latest. 😀

CbB has been freed of having to use such tactics, but a side effect is that magazine editors don't quite know when to give it a review. Usually with a DAW, a major number release is when it gets a round of reviews, with corresponding jump in license sales. Otherwise, it will only appear in "DAW roundup" articles.

So it's nice to see a magazine like SOS, one I respect very much, acknowledging that CbB deserves to be on the list along with other DAW's that had major upgrades in 2020.

I've been watching the reviews roll in at KVR Audio since Noel B. created the page for Cakewalk by BandLab. I feel kind of embarrassed that mine is the only 4-star, but I think doling out the maximum is only for products that I think are perfect, where I wouldn't change a thing.

I also like Sound On Sound (SOS).

I find it even more surprising Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) is listed even though SOS dropped Craig Anderton's long running Sonar\CbB column.  Craig's column was the main reason I visited SOS's website each month.  I rarely visit their website now.

11 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Thanks. I didn't know about the KVR page. I'd suggest adding ARA 2 to the features list.

You can add a post to the Discussion and mention it. Also, calling it to the attention of @Noel Borthwick, who maintains the KVR entry (and I see updated the version this round).

ARA 2 is something that not every DAW has, to be sure, helps Cakewalk stand out from the pack.

Also, while we have Noel's attention, the Cakewalk Studio Instruments entry lists the bundle as No Longer Available. I posted in the Discussion that it's actually now free via BandLab Assistant.

And has CA-2A been included with CbB? I think it's now in CbB as a PC module, but I'm not sure about the VST. Since I own a full license for it, I don't really know. It's also listed as No Longer Available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1