[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access

Morten Saether

12 minutes ago, Jean-Philippe ROGER said:

Hi !

When i drag and drop an audio clip to a midi track, i don't have the popup with the selection of algorithm.

Only this one.

image.png.1ecd11e51a8f7a93d23561e8730bcecc.png

I use Melodyne essential 5.0.2.003.

Is this an issue introduced with the early release? I.E. have you reverted to 2020.9 Build 006 to make sure this behaviour was introduced with the early release?

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It looks like it's picked up your paths from a previous SONAR X2 install.

Just go into Preferences->File->VST Settings and set your new paths.

You'll probably also want to check the paths in Folder Locations and Audio Data are correct (they're also under Preferences->File ).

Thanks. That VST plugin file path does exist along with 10 more.  And yes, it's there because I recently installed several plugins from X2 and that's where X2 wanted to put them. I don't think I was given a choice by the X2 installer.

My problem is that the Cakewalk 26.10.0.061 installer folder location Browse buttons are all greyed out and I am unable to change the VST path to the location I use for Cakewalk.  What do I need to do to make the Browse buttons active as they should be when the Advanced install option is selected? I think the only one I want to change is the VST plugins folder.

10 hours ago, Sascha Denda said:

The dropped out code is 0 or 16. I send picture when i wake up and drink my first cup of Coffee. 

The UI Performance is much much better than before. On a Template with 149 Tracks and 36 Busses it is really smooth . 

Is it normal when i make steprecording, i get crackle click and pop when i play. After recording it works.  it is an issue that is very long time in this daw (in sonar days). Hasnt no other this issue?

Greetings from Germany and thx for cakewalk.

I'm not aware of this issue with step recording causing clicks. Could you please send a project that exhibits this - can you reproduce in a simpler project or only in large projects?

4 hours ago, Jean-Philippe ROGER said:

Hi !

When i drag and drop an audio clip to a midi track, i don't have the popup with the selection of algorithm.

Only this one.

image.png.1ecd11e51a8f7a93d23561e8730bcecc.png

I use Melodyne essential 5.0.2.003.

Thank you

As mentioned in the release notes:
Please note that the ARA/Melodyne algorithm picker is a pre-release feature and will only be visible if you are running a beta of the upcoming Melodyne 5 release.

If you aren't a Celemony beta tester you won't see the new algorithm picker yet. They are yet to release their next update.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Same issue & fix here.

I have never unchecked it so something must have changed in this new version

We decided to default "Display muted takes in parent track" to off. The reasoning was:

1. It adds a lot of clutter on the parent track when you have lots of take lanes with muted clips.
2. It can get a lot more expensive to draw when you have lots of take lanes even when they are closed (although after my optimizations its about 20x cheaper) 

I'm open to changing the default back but I'm curious why you would want to see muted takes on the main track. After all the main track should contain what you are hearing. If you want to edit the muted takes then you still can by opening the take lanes. Let me know if I'm missing something.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm not aware of this issue with step recording causing clicks. Could you please send a project that exhibits this - can you reproduce in a simpler project or only in large projects?

I have the same issue with click crackle and pops when i have one instrument loaded. I try to make a video to this topic. The issue was in every version since Cakewalk Sonar 

16 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

As mentioned in the release notes:
Please note that the ARA/Melodyne algorithm picker is a pre-release feature and will only be visible if you are running a beta of the upcoming Melodyne 5 release.

If you aren't a Celemony beta tester you won't see the new algorithm picker yet. They are yet to release their next update.

Hi @Noel Borthwick!

Sorry, I hadn't read everything of the release note

3 minutes ago, Sascha Denda said:

I have the same issue with click crackle and pops when i have one instrument loaded. I try to make a video to this topic. The issue was in every version since Cakewalk Sonar 

Thanks. If you can reproduce it with one of the built in instruments even better. Just send me the project file and we'll look into it. 

Hi guys,

I've got a pack of expression maps for Cubase and am in the process of using the "import articulation maps" function.
Two observations:

This works for multiple files but not for multiple folders.
There seems to be a limit on the number of entries within a folder it can do - admitedly i'm trying to bring in several thousand, but i'd expect it to just keep going until it's done.

No error is returned, it just doesn't complete the task.

I'm trying to do these in batches, but i'm not sure what the limit is so it's quite time consuming.

Best wishes,
Matthew

On 10/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, Canopus said:

Hm, I was a bit quick in my reply there. I see now the Articulation Map Editor only allows for one folder level. The recursive search stops as soon as it finds a folder without at least one valid artmap file. Additional sub-folders are unfortunately ignored unless you fool it by having at least one valid artmap file on each level . Too bad. Is that something that could be taken into consideration?

Until this function hopefully will be further developed, here's a temporary work-around to have Articulation Map stored in multiple-level nested structures. I have placed an empty text file called empty.artmap on each folder level where valid artmaps are not naturally stored, like on a Developer folder level if you’d like to have a further breakdown. Of course, these files could be called anything as long as they have an artmap file extension. Also, and equally important, by giving these empty files a Hidden attribute the folder structure will be visible in the Articulation Map Editor without showing the dummy artmap file(s), which might otherwise be distracting.

d1mYIPz.png

However, there is one important drawback: the current Search function doesn't appear to scan in sub-folders located under a folder where no hits are found. However, with nested folder structures the Search function might be of less importance. I guess it’s a matter of personal preferences. And I actually have a workaround for that as well, but I'll spare you the ugly details.

Edited by Canopus
As there have been articulation map improvements introduced in 2020.10 EA2, there is no longer any need to add hidden dummy artmap files in the structure. Case closed.

26 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Hi guys,

I've got a pack of expression maps for Cubase and am in the process of using the "import articulation maps" function.
Two observations:

There seems to be a limit on the number of entries within a folder it can do - admitedly i'm trying to bring in several thousand, but i'd expect it to just keep going until it's done.

I'm trying to do these in batches, but i'm not sure what the limit is so it's quite time consuming.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Windows is actually imposing this limit. The "File name" field on the open file dialog has a limit of 65535 characters:

image.png.321394faa354c104d5a1fbe2d0d89c1a.png

Once it gets beyond that, it simply goes blank:

image.png.d83f3db3d67cdb89abb3ab57f5cd74d6.png

So keep an eye on the File Name field - if it's blank, you've selected too many.

1 hour ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Hi guys,

Two observations:

Best wishes,
Matthew

@Matthew Simon Fletcher curious which company you bought that expression maps pack from. Thats a lot of files.

Hi Noel,

The company Babylon Waves do an all-in-one pack that is designed to cover any libraries purchased.

https://www.babylonwaves.com/expression-maps/

You're absolutely right - it's a lot of files and I certainly don't have all of those libraries.

The company provides them with a file hierarchy of "Company - Specific Product - Subgroup". I was going to import these in groups, but because you can't do multiple folders at a time it was taking awhile.

I therefore used an autohotkey script to remove the file hierarchy and hence tried to important all 11k of the files, and ran into the issue described.
I have now been successful in importing them all doing batches such as those with the letter A, B, etc etc.

I am now however experiencing slow performance navigating through the articulation editor - I guess a natural by-product of the large number of files loaded. Any performance improvements that could be made here would be great.

Ultimately f the importer could take into account all folders and files within a folder that would be the optimum way of bringing in all maps for libraries possessed and hence remove the need to bring in everything or spend ages grabbing the individual subfolders.

I did mention to the company that Cakewalk now supported maps and mentioned I could share the converted ones - so the developer may well appear here.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
  • Thanks 1