Setting up the KORG nanoKEY Studio (Help Needed)

Hello Fellow Musicians,

It feels a bit funny to say fellow musicians because I am just starting out on this, but no disrespect to those who have years of experience on me. I have wanted to make music for years (tried gituar, trombone, piano, and harmonica when I was younger but my rhythm...well I beat to my own spastic drum.) Well I have finally carved out some time to create music (although I don't know what kind is going to come out) and I have been wading through the terminology, DAW, MIDI, etc., and well, because I am on a budget I got a KORG nanoKey Studio. I have access to Audition through Adobe CC but that doesn't like MIDI and I might eventually get Abelton (the Korg only came with a discount code to Abelton) as I do love a wide range of electronica, but to get my feet wet I am trying to get this hooked up to Cakewalk.

Here is what I have found through various research already

Step 1: Connect as a Bluetooth accessory through Windows 10 Settings

Step 2: In Cakewalk set MIDI driver mode to UWP (Universal Windows Platform) (This seems to be the only way to get the Bluetooth to work.) Yes, I know that there a 7ms delay but that is not a bother for me at this time. I have limited usb ports on this computer. Edit → Preferences → MIDI → Playback and Recording → Driver Mode and choose UWP

If I open a new project i do not get any sound with a MIDI or drums track. I was at one point, but only when I used the sample files cakewalk came with such as Happy Go Lucky, but now not at all. Please Help. There are so many options of things to change, but I don't know the language and acronyms yet.

I did find a little bit of research here http://forum.cakewalk.com/The-new-UWP-feature-vs-the-primitive-MIDI-environment-m3586621.aspx

Welcome to the forum
Press P on your computer keyboard and let us know what you have listed for Record and Playback Timing Masters.

Go to Insert at the top and choose Soft Synth and TTS-1. In the next dialog make sure Create MIDI Source Track and First Audio Output are selected.
In the MIDI track that is created make sure the input is set to your controller and the output to the TTS-1 soft synth.
The TTS-1 soft synth's output should be set to whatever the Preferences dialog showed as your Playback Timing Master. Or a bus which should be set to that output.
In the MIDI track, select a channel and Patch (instrument sound). It might be a good idea to turn down the volume of the TTS-1 soft synth track to keep from clipping. Some of the patches can be pretty loud.
Play something on your controller. Can you hear anything? Are the meters moving?
Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Well, 57Gregy,

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, or fortunately, there was an update that I installed last night. When I opened Cakewalk up just now to test out your suggestions it just so happens that both keyboard and drum pads are working. Thanks again and I will get familiar with the settings you pointed me towards.

Sincerely,

Mr. Nobody Special