Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Burnside

Spitfire and Cakewalk issue

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone else could test this for me but I'm getting a full Cakewalk crash whenever I try to create an instrument track using Spitfires BBC orchestra. Has anyone else seen this problem and has anyone found a fix? Used to work fine until latest build as far as I'm aware.

Any help much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, not overly helpful to your problem, but I can confirm BBC is working as expected here with no crashes. Running the latest build.

If you can get a crash dump and send it into support, they might be able to trace your problem.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this happen as soon as you request a new instrument track from Cakewalk, as opposed to during playback?

Does it happen in a brand-new project with nothing else in it?

Have you successfully used this instrument in previous projects?

Is there any difference between creating an instrument track versus separate MIDI and audio tracks?

My first thought is something may have gone awry during the instrument's installation, perhaps resulting in some missing dependency. It might be worthwhile to re-install it. Make sure you re-run the scanner after reinstallation.

I'd also suggest looking in the Windows Event Log, a long shot but there could be useful information there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replys!

Brand new project and crashes as soon as I click to add the plugin. I'll try uninstall it completely and reinstall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 7:10 AM, Matt Burnside said:

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone else could test this for me but I'm getting a full Cakewalk crash whenever I try to create an instrument track using Spitfires BBC orchestra. Has anyone else seen this problem and has anyone found a fix? Used to work fine until latest build as far as I'm aware.

Any help much appreciated.

I've done a bunch of testing with Spitfire's BBC Symphony Orchestra without issue, so there shouldn't be any major issues with the plug. If you're seeing a crash, please send us a dump file, and we'll take a look. Do bear in mind it is rather resource intensive plugin since it's loading a rather large library, but it works normally on my end. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 7:10 AM, Matt Burnside said:

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone else could test this for me but I'm getting a full Cakewalk crash whenever I try to create an instrument track using Spitfires BBC orchestra. Has anyone else seen this problem and has anyone found a fix? Used to work fine until latest build as far as I'm aware.

Any help much appreciated.

Yes, this is a known issue with the VST3    version. I reported to Noel back in May or so (soon  after the  BBC SO release).  Noel reported after looking at the crash dump I sent that it  appears to be an issue on Spitfires end. I also  reported the findings to Spitfire.   Until fixed, use the  VST2   version as it works as expected. I checked several other DAW apps and they seem to work fine with the VST3 version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proven this to be a Spitfire issue now, after uninstalling the program and reinstalling it's all good again. 

Thanks for all the help though guys!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about some other reports how windows 10 updates make you have to reinstall stuff - is it a possibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having similar issues with the BBC SO Discover VST3, Cakewalk suggested the problem is related to the plugin.  I contact Spitfire Audio, provided them with CrashDump and log files and they sent me an updated dll plugin. However the issue still persists but is inconsistent as can bee seen in this screen capture.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NealClark - what build of Cakewalk are you running?  The issue looks suspiciously like the "Add Track" issue we fixed in the 2020.08 Hotfix Sneak Preview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@NealClark - what build of Cakewalk are you running?  The issue looks suspiciously like the "Add Track" issue we fixed in the 2020.08 Hotfix Sneak Preview.

@msmcleod 2020.08 (Build 100, 64 BIt)

Edited by NealClark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@NealClark - what build of Cakewalk are you running?  The issue looks suspiciously like the "Add Track" issue we fixed in the 2020.08 Hotfix Sneak Preview.

@msmcleod I downloaded the 2020.08 Hotfix Sneak Preview that you suggested may include a fix to cure this. Sadly it didn't. Spitfire Audio are still investigating the issue. It does seem to me that it may be more Cakewalk related now. Originally the plugin loaded without issue when I first got it. Since update to 2020.08 Build 100 and the previous version it has constantly crashed, If I start a new project from a template that I created when I first got the plugin, this template includes many instances of the BBC SO VST3, it all loads and works fine. It seems to be a very random and inconsistent error. When I do as shown in the video that happens 100% of the time. So I am leaning towards the fact that it may be a Cakewalk problem. I have sent CrashDumps to Cakewalk support and they just said "it's a plugin problem" and I should seek help from Spitfire. Which kind of leaves me stuck in the middle. I can only provide the files to support and wait to see what they come up with. 

 

Edited by NealClark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NealClark said:

@msmcleod I downloaded the 2020.08 Hotfix Sneak Preview that you suggested may include a fix to cure this. Sadly it didn't. Spitfire Audio are still investigating the issue. It does seem to me that it may be more Cakewalk related now. Originally the plugin loaded without issue when I first got it. Since update to 2020.08 Build 100 and the previous version it has constantly crashed, If I start a new project from a template that I created when I first got the plugin, this template includes many instances of the BBC SO VST3, it all loads and works fine. It seems to be a very random and inconsistent error. When I do as shown in the video that happens 100% of the time. So I am leaning towards the fact that it may be a Cakewalk problem. I have sent CrashDumps to Cakewalk support and they just said "it's a plugin problem" and I should seek help from Spitfire. Which kind of leaves me stuck in the middle. I can only provide the files to support and wait to see what they come up with. 

 

I've tried to reproduce the problem here and I can't, so I'm leaning towards it either being an environmental or settings issue.  The crash dump does however indicate that the crash is inside the BBCSO plugin.

Since it's intermittent, it may be something else running on your PC that might be causing the issue. For example, are you sure there's no virus checker, backup software, or cloud sync app (OneDrive, Google Drive etc) looking at any of your VST or BBCSO content directories?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

I've tried to reproduce the problem here and I can't, so I'm leaning towards it either being an environmental or settings issue.  The crash dump does however indicate that the crash is inside the BBCSO plugin.

Since it's intermittent, it may be something else running on your PC that might be causing the issue. For example, are you sure there's no virus checker, backup software, or cloud sync app (OneDrive, Google Drive etc) looking at any of your VST or BBCSO content directories?
 

@msmcleod I don't use OneDrive or Google Drive on this PC so there shouldnt be any issues there. I haven#t made any specific file exclusions on my AV checker, I normally leave this at it's default settings which I think would scan any executable (exe or dll), but will make some changes to see if that has any impact.  Thanks for the suggestion it is much appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had quite a number of exchanges with the Spitfire Technical support and they are working hard to iron out the issues. They said they are aware, as they have had a number of reports, that there are quite a few experiencing problems with the VST3. Hopefully they will manage to get them sorted fairly soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 8:41 PM, NealClark said:

I've had quite a number of exchanges with the Spitfire Technical support and they are working hard to iron out the issues. They said they are aware, as they have had a number of reports, that there are quite a few experiencing problems with the VST3. Hopefully they will manage to get them sorted fairly soon.

After exchanging a number of emails and Dump files from the BBS SO Discovery crashes within CbB Spitfire Audio provided me with a few different new builds of the VST3 DLL none of which cured the issues I have been experiencing. They have now stated they have been made aware that other software vendors have also reported issues with VST3 plugins running within CbB and thus they are convinced its an issue with Cakewalk itself. They have suggested I just use the VST2 version of their plugin until the Cakewalk Developers can rectify the issues. Seems I could be waiting a long time as Cakewalk seem convinced that the issue lies with the plugin.

 

Edited by NealClark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using Spitfire Eric Whitacre choir vst3 plugin which I believe is basically the same plugin as BBC orchestra.
Difference would be amount of samples, pretty much, about 150 GB as I recall in choirs.

I noticed no tendency to instability in Cakewalk 2020.09. Windows 7 Pro. 16 GB ram.
Opened for all outputs in Cakewalk.

I also turned off in group policy in windows this assistant sometime placing programs is crash group, kind of, where certain extra increased memory handling is performed. Many times this created more problems than otherwise when a program was considered crashing a lot. All software start quicker as well with this turned off. I usually had to clean registry from this crap otherwise so no special treatment is used by Windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LarsF said:

I am using Spitfire Eric Whitacre choir vst3 plugin

@LarsF  Thank you for your post. I was just looking at this as my first investment in Spitfire and noting the reported issues (and the size)! Also thinking the forthcoming articulation enhancements in CxB could be relevant. 

Did you have any trouble geting it set up and installed in CxB? 

Any observations on working with "techniques"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jackson white said:

@LarsF  Thank you for your post. I was just looking at this as my first investment in Spitfire and noting the reported issues (and the size)! Also thinking the forthcoming articulation enhancements in CxB could be relevant. 

Did you have any trouble geting it set up and installed in CxB? 

Any observations on working with "techniques"?

I ordered with Spitfire's excellent hdd service, just copied as instructed to local hdd first and ran install. I did not have internet then that could do that download at the time. You had to be online while doing the install, some license thing I'm sure is the reason.

No problems at all getting it working, no contact with their support even.

 

I've been lazy and did not work much with it, it was a 50% off offer, so I went for it. Just testing in some daws to get it scanned.

It sounds fabulous.

Spitfire is a bit like Waves - you always wait for a campaign of some sort, unless immediate need of course.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...