Matthew White

Feature Request-Support for Animated .png images

I'm not wishing to sound like an excited 10 year old but Please, Please, Pretty Please with A Cherry on Top, add support for animated .png images, you don't even have to update the two themes included with Cakewalk, just add support for users to add them to Themes via the editor and for them to work in Cakewalk.

I'm not sure if any other DAW even uses animated png images in it's UI and it would be handy and cool to make certain buttons like Mute, Solo and Record flash or fade.

Check out the Track View/Console View 'Record' button I made..... https://imgur.com/tlLyQmq

Now, would that not be so cool and maybe useful for a few particular and important buttons??

Edited by Matthew White
  • Like 9
  • Great Idea 3

I have actually been thinking about this myself. In my case it was mostly regarding Mute which I think looks pretty cool in Logic, where an active mute for a track is indicated by a flashing Mute button. So thumbs up.

• Like 1

My main concern would be around performance. I'd assume it wouldn't take much more.... but... I wonder if in general the UI could be GPU accelerated. If in general it could run super smoothly, that'd be pretty awesome. My Daw is running a 780 GTX that pretty much idles all day :D

Edited by Josh Wolfer
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 5:55 PM, Josh Wolfer said:

My main concern would be around performance. I'd assume it wouldn't take much more.

I guess in general no as it would only be desired really for Mute, Solo and Record but then there are cases where many of these will be lit at once which may cause issues but any Themes made with animated buttons could have a static button version available for those who don't want any performance hit be it through choice or system limitations.

• Like 1

The more I think about this idea the better I like the idea of animated buttons.

I can see a track's record button flash when it's armed and change to solid when the transport record button is pressed.  Flashing play button when paused and solid when running.  Many opportunities become available to make the interface more user friendly.

• Like 1