Colin Nicholls

Click-Select in time ruler (rant)

Posted (edited)

I really REALLY wish the only way to select anything by clicking in the time line ruler is by click+drag. I seem to be forever accidently clicking and selecting a vast chunk of project. Once it is selected, you can't unselect it with a mouse action without moving the Now time.

I'm forever searching for Ctrl-Shift-A on the keyboard to un-select.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

2 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Once it is selected, you can't unselect it with a mouse action without moving the Now time

Try CTRL+click in an empty part of a track or take lane

2 minutes ago, scook said:

Try CTRL+click in an empty part of a track or take lane

Interesting. Doesn't work in the PRV; or in "blank/unused space" in the track view, but does indeed work on existing tracks/lanes. Good to know. I don't feel that it resolves my irritation at the behavior, though. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Once it is selected, you can't unselect it with a mouse action without moving the Now time.

I'm forever searching for Ctrl-Shift-A on the keyboard to un-select.

I'm not fond of that auto selection feature either. And, like you, my favorite timeline selection method is to drag in the timeline using aim assist.

I'm learning to ignore the, to me, useless big green selection range and work underneath it. 

just lasso-select (right mouse button) a small portion of any empty area, I do it since ages

OTOH i wish lasso-selecting in cakewalk could work with the left mouse button like in any other windows application, I do it so often that I'm still doing it in other apps after leaving work in cakewalk 😂

• Like 1

Having a hard time warming up to the selection process as well. I wish there was a way to turn it off.

I'm also using CTRL+SHIFT+A to (select none) like its going out of style.

I do use CTRL +Click on clips though to deselect. that has been my new go to method as of late.