Jump to content
cclarry

UAD Half Year Sale!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Grem said:

So... I am new to this, and only have a Apollo Twin, and after adding 3 or 4 plugins, I start hitting the max limit. Does that sound right? Or am I doing something wrong?

If they're the newer plugs like oceanway, I wouldn't be surprised, unfortunately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh you were serious? Sorry, didn't mean to upset you. I love sarcasm and this forum is a hoot (in a good way).

I've read that a twin can't handle too many plugins, as it handles them on its own, not using the computer's cpu, so it might explode if you add one more.

This means you are now trapped in the Apple's, ahem, I mean UAD ecosystem and if you want to run more plugins you gotta spend more on hardware (and as you can see more also for extra plugins)

That's what 890 bucks get you: 3/4 plugins.

PC + Native for the win.

(Because Macs are consumer products, and very expensive for some reason)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carlos said:

Oh you were serious? Sorry, didn't mean to upset you. I love sarcasm and this forum is a hoot (in a good way).

Not upset. But you confirmed you were laughing at me, not with me. Love sarcasm too. Love the forum too. Very helpful.

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

I've read that a twin can't handle too many plugins, as it handles them on its own, not using the computer's cpu, so it might explode if you add one more.

I understood what I was getting when I bought the Apollo Twin. (Got it for a steal, with a lot of plugins along with it!!) Don't know if your aware of UA's Unison Technology. Works great btw. And that was the main reason I got the Twin.

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

This means you are now trapped in the Apple's, ahem, I mean UAD ecosystem and if you want to run more plugins you gotta spend more on hardware (and as you can see more also for extra plugins)

That's what 890 bucks get you: 3/4 plugins.

No, not trapped. Actually, the UA environment is exactly what I was wanting, as I stated above: Unison Technology. Not sure what the $890 is in reference to. Or the 3/4 plugins. Is that 3 or 4 plugins? Or only three-fourths of a plugin?  More sarcasm that I am not getting?

Don't know if you can see my spec for my PC, but I have all of Waves plugins, mostly all PA, Melda, PSP, IK, Nomad, and more than enough power to run what I need. I won't be wanting for anything.

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

PC + Native for the win.

Nope, UA with Unison Technology, something the PC can't do! 
UA for the win!

Good try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Grem said:

.....

Good try.

Mate, YOU good try, lol.

Here I leave you with a link so you can see you're wrong (or ignorant):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTDusb--universal-audio-apollo-twin-usb-duo-2x6-usb-audio-interface-with-uad-dsp
That's the 899 reference, and guess what? Works in Windows... sigh...
And I don't think you read me that well.
Ok, so you wanna be trapped? More power to you.
I don't have one of those and I am more aware of its environment and how it works than you, weird.

And the whole point was just to answer why you were hitting a max limit with just 3 plugins.
And if I felt you were using sarcasm, then I was laughing with you.
You weren't, so obviously feels I was laughing at you.
Whatever.
Mate really get out of your Studio, I know, hard because of Covid, and take a deep breath or two...

 

(Oh, and 3/4 plugins... Were you born that way ?  don't get me started... this is the first time someone is so jumpy about something I said... glad it was someone with more than 1 post at least).

Edited by Carlos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Grem said:

Nope, UA with Unison Technology, something the PC can't do! 

UA for the win!

Good try.

I really wish I had the option to use unison. Hopefully uad won't have moved to thunderbolt entirely by the time I've saved my pennies!

Have you tried the century tube strip? I'm liking that a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Craig Fowler said:

I really wish I had the option to use unison. Hopefully uad won't have moved to thunderbolt entirely by the time I've saved my pennies!

Have you tried the century tube strip? I'm liking that a lot!

Not sure they will move totally to just Thunderbolt. USB3 is almost what TB is.

Haven't tried the Century yet. I have my demo's reset so I can give it a whirl.

36 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Were you born that way?

Not sure what your going for here. We not getting along well it seems. Let's just leave it that way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grem , i asked them about the ability to have more core , and heat was the issue , and yes a twin duo is already super hot , can t imagine the quad ...and you re right the twin is really for recording purpose , i was considering it for my channel , but the rme does the job ....one thing i would love feedback on , is unison. Versus non unison amp sim ? Is that really a big diff like some say ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 12:17 AM, Zo said:

Grem , i asked them about the ability to have more core , and heat was the issue , and yes a twin duo is already super hot , can t imagine the quad ...and you re right the twin is really for recording purpose , i was considering it for my channel , but the rme does the job ....one thing i would love feedback on , is unison. Versus non unison amp sim ? Is that really a big diff like some say ?

I trust this guy to death, so I here I leave you with this post, you can read all the thread if you want:
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/recommendations-for-new-audio-interface-apollo-8-wont-cut-it-on-windows-so-i-need-a-new-one.92817/post-4550769

(Also, apparently I read that now he works for Native Instruments, he's super useful among forums).

Edited by Carlos
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carlos, The real advantage of UAD is the ability to track through the plugins and print the effects while recording. Regardless of OS no regular interface/plugin combination can do this. I don't in any way feel trapped by the UAD platform and I use native plugins 90% of the time ITB but when I'm tracking a band or I want the ability to run mics through a Helios, SSL4000, Manley, Neve 1073, etc., I've found there is simply no better sounding strategy without owning the actual gear.  This is why folks invest in UAD. It is a very good example of getting what you pay for.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

but when I'm tracking a band or I want the ability to run mics through a Helios, SSL4000, Manley, Neve 1073, etc., I've found there is simply no better sounding strategy without owning the actual gear. 

Yep, I know. Very good point to underline though.
This is when you want to print those effects while you record.
And I bet you get your desired results (sonic wise I bet it sounds great).

 

1 hour ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

Regardless of OS no regular interface/plugin combination can do this.

Exactly. The Unison thing is done by the interface. It's not Mac environment exclusive (I know you know this, just underlining this point myself).

:::::::::

Because at the end of the day,  if you were to use only UA plugins, and they weren't printed, if you  lost the interface or it finally failed to work, you can do anything to your projects, as your plugins (UA) are they are tied to your interface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

This is why folks invest in UAD. It is a very good example of getting what you pay for.

RME is another example. I have both. Well said Tommy.

 

58 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Very good point to underline though.
This is when you want to print those effects while you record.
And I bet you get your desired results (sonic wise I bet it sounds great).

Carlos, I am a tightwad, and will try to get by as cheap as I can. But what I have found out doing this for some years  is what Tommy said that I quoted. I learned that with guitars very early on. Same thing with amps, and mics, and so on. You get what you pay for. And I have great amps, and guitars, and mics. Guess where my weak link was? Recording signal chain. 

The UA Apollo Twin solved that problem. 

So believe me when I say I understand your point in that looking at it from outside the "UA Environment" it looks as though you will spend lots of money for.... not much return. No bang for buck. I had a chance to buy a UAD-2 Quad for a real good price, but passed it up. And the reason was I didn't want to get sucked down what I thought would be a money pit. Today, I regret that decision.

Another thing I found unexpectedly from using the Unison Technology is that I can go straight/print to tape. I did not think that was an option I would use. But I always struggled with getting my vocals to sit right in a mix. Using the Neve 73 channel strip, I was able to hear what this could really do. Vocals sounded clear, focused, and on top from the very beginning! Exactly what I had be fighting with. This alone will save me many hours of struggle. Then I did the same vocal on the API and the SSL, and all three had different character, but still maintained the clarity and focus I had always missed. After hearing these results, I quickly concluded that there is no problem for me to go straight to tape!! In fact, I'm better off! : )

I could go on and on with other things, but the point being I was a non believer until I heard, until I listened!!

8 hours ago, Zo said:

but the rme does the job ....one thing i would love feedback on , is unison. Versus non unison amp sim ? Is that really a big diff like some say ?

Zo, I have RME too. And I can get good results mic'ing and DI (same time) my guitar performances with my old Fireface. But I have not yet put the RME and the UA Unison Technology side by side with my guitar. That's the next thing on my list of to-do's. I wonder how the speakers play a part in this. I only have KRK V6's as monitors. My amps have 12" Celestion's. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zo said:

Grem , i asked them about the ability to have more core , and heat was the issue , and yes a twin duo is already super hot , can t imagine the quad

Yes the Apollo gets hot. This surprised me how warm it got. Same with my old RME Fireface. It gets hotter than I expected it too.

I was looking at a octo PCIe card to go with the Twin. The price wasn't that much more than the quad, so I figured why not just go for that. Did not think of the heat issue in the box. Going do some research.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to double dip on this sale. Cheap ***** that I am, I picked up  a used UAD-2 Solo card on Reverb with a nice little bundle of plugins for about $150 to stick my toe in the water.  The card had the basic bundle of analog FX included: Real-Verb, Precision Mix rack collection and the Legacy Plugins (Pultec EQs,  La2a, 1176 etc...). 

Today I used Capitol Chambers on a vocal track in demo mode to see if it was "All that"...and yeah...it is.  I could tell immediately that it was something I would want to have available (although it pretty much needs to be run by itself on the solo card!).

Remembering the sale is  going on - I opted for the Pick 3 bundle (which gets you 4 plug ins). and went with Ocean Way AND Capitol Chambers, the newer Neve Preamp and Manley VoxBox.  They gave me the sales price and there was another coupon code FINDYOURTREASURE that gave another $25.00 off. so the 4 new ones ran $374...and I just got an email with another $25.00 coupon....

Sooner or later, Ill find a great deal on a Octa card...but I am satisfied I got a great deal on these UA plugins. 

Edited by StudioNSFW
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

Today I used Capitol Chambers on a vocal track in demo mode to see if it was "All that"...and yeah...it is.  I could tell immediately that it was something I would want to have available (although it pretty much needs to be run by itself on the solo card!).

Remembering the sale is  going on - I opted for the Pick 3 bundle (which gets you 4 plug ins). and went with Ocean Way AND Capitol Chambers

Yep, it was getting those two that made me finally cave in and upgrade my solo PCI-e earlier this year 🙂 That really is a special pair of plugins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StudioNSFW said:

Sooner or later, Ill find a great deal on a Octa card

Looking myself!!The Quad cards brand new are $800, and the Octa is just $300 more for double processing power. So if ya gonna spend $800, might as well save/ponie up for the Octa. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During past sales,  UAD has sometimes added another discount voucher to my account after a plugin has been purchased.  Has anyone seen this happen during the current sale?   I've also seen UAD  add vouchers after a sale is over -- which is not as enticing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tom B said:

During past sales,  UAD has sometimes added another discount voucher to my account after a plugin has been purchased.  Has anyone seen this happen during the current sale?   I've also seen UAD  add vouchers after a sale is over -- which is not as enticing!

Not only that. But it also disscounts the bundles. 

With this approach I managed to get the classic bundle for 275 instead of the 425 it was initially offered for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tom B said:

will purchase the first one separately in hopes of an additional coupon.  

I bought a 3+1 bundle recently in this sale, used the coupon they gave me and found that they sent me another $25 off coupon. So it happened for me. 

So with that $25 off coupon I got the Helios 69 channel strip. I just looked and I have another $25 off coupon ready to be used!!

[edit] forgot to add that these are time limited coupons. Have to use mine by 19Jul20.

Edited by Grem
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...