Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zo

Ampeg or not Ampeg

Recommended Posts

Hey guyz , specially bass aficionados !! 

 

Just want your input on IK ampeg versus PA offering (UA also but unison enters the equation)  ....what is for uyou the most realistic / close to real thing when it come to playing ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IK all the way. The video you showed me is stellar. PA... I downloaded the demos and tested them...  I never ever liked them a tad bit, to me they sound tinny, thin, nasty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Carlos said:

IK all the way. The video you showed me is stellar. PA... I downloaded the demos and tested them...  I never ever liked them a tad bit, to me they sound tinny, thin, nasty.

Give it some time , they re like all nembrini work hyper sensible to gain while ik are more forgiving , the sweet spot is larger in ik , i do like the groolllll ik have , but in blind tests while they have more body , the PA seemed to integrtate better in the mix i was working on ....

i really wonder this washed  sound you get when pushed a lot , is it like that on the real deal ? I recall ampeg as vibrant but not washy ( vibrant like fenders for exemple) like you feel the fabrik ...

Carlos Darkglass and Eden are top also ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zo said:

Give it some time , they re like all nembrini work hyper sensible to gain while ik are more forgiving , the sweet spot is larger in ik , i do like the groolllll ik have , but in blind tests while they have more body , the PA seemed to integrtate better in the mix i was working on ....

i really wonder this washed  sound you get when pushed a lot , is it like that on the real deal ? I recall ampeg as vibrant but not washy ( vibrant like fenders for exemple) like you feel the fabrik ...

Carlos Darkglass and Eden are top also ...

Yes, I love Darkglass myself. And Overloud's Mark II Studio. 😁
Honest, you're a pro mixer, right? I guess you know better (but me as making my own stuff for myself only, working with anything PA is not fun at all, to say the least, sound wise that is. To me all some PA amps, guitar or bass, sound tinny and harsh and bright, even if you try to darken the sound). I like some guitar PA amps but not all.
Still I gravitate to IK, Nembrini or what the heck: Guitar Rig 5 (I have Komplete 12 Ultimate). I have always loved Guitar Rig, it has some good sounds in there (in the Petrucci forum there was this guy who made a whole guitar instrumental album with it and we all were marveled about his tone, this was like 8 years ago, wow, long time...).
So, perhaps it's more about who's using it? Haha :P Idk
I once told myself to never buy anything PA, and the moron of me seeing some "bargains" made me buy some, lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carlos said:

Yes, I love Darkglass myself. And Overloud's Mark II Studio. 😁
Honest, you're a pro mixer, right? I guess you know better (but me as making my own stuff for myself only, working with anything PA is not fun at all, to say the least, sound wise that is. To me all some PA amps, guitar or bass, sound tinny and harsh and bright, even if you try to darken the sound). I like some guitar PA amps but not all.
Still I gravitate to IK, Nembrini or what the heck: Guitar Rig 5 (I have Komplete 12 Ultimate). I have always loved Guitar Rig, it has some good sounds in there (in the Petrucci forum there was this guy who made a whole guitar instrumental album with it and we all were marveled about his tone, this was like 8 years ago, wow, long time...).
So, perhaps it's more about who's using it? Haha :P Idk
I once told myself to never buy anything PA, and the moron of me seeing some "bargains" made me buy some, lol.

No it s cool to have ears for objectivity , i m not a bass player at all , and i had questions that ony a bass player can tell ...whatched videos'but the guyz dont push it like i did lol ...

you re right about PA amps , strangely made by nembrini , my conclusion is cabinets section sucks , but not in the case of bass amps . The key like everything is to master them'and thrir strenght , the fender 53 bassman for exemple , when i need subbass is a beast , when i need mid range growl and body , ampeg ba 500 , svt vr or v4b , when i want balanced and dynamic it s svt pro or trace elliot ect ... the PA ones have the balance to have enougth body , and enought lows. ... i m just wondering about how they crack /distord ... they lose dynamic pretty fast witch can be good or bad depending on scenarios ... markbass is superbe but franky i don t use just because of the pain size makes ...

And i went for the PA (hoirs ago) just for fast and cpu friendy moves ... i could be happy with what i have already ... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Zo said:

No it s cool to have ears for objectivity , i m not a bass player at all , and i had questions that ony a bass player can tell ...whatched videos'but the guyz dont push it like i did lol ...

you re right about PA amps , strangely made by nembrini , my conclusion is cabinets section sucks , but not in the case of bass amps . The key like everything is to master them'and thrir strenght , the fender 53 bassman for exemple , when i need subbass is a beast , when i need mid range growl and body , ampeg ba 500 , svt vr or v4b , when i want balanced and dynamic it s svt pro or trace elliot ect ... the PA ones have the balance to have enougth body , and enought lows. ... i m just wondering about how they crack /distord ... they lose dynamic pretty fast witch can be good or bad depending on scenarios ... markbass is superbe but franky i don t use just because of the pain size makes ...

And i went for the PA (hoirs ago) just for fast and cpu friendy moves ... i could be happy with what i have already ... 

Awesome Zo, you're my favorite person on the internet so far (King, don't feel jelaous ;) )

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a the V4b and B15 from PA, and both Ampeg packs from IK. They're both good. The PA V4b has some really nice grunt to it, but I get sounds I like out of the IK sims. I haven't yet managed to get anything from the PA-B15 that sounds anywhere near as good as their demos. As you said, @Zo, the PA sweetspot can be pretty narrow!

I always do this, but seeing as someone else mentioned the (presumably Softube) Eden, I'll sing its praises too. It's very versatile and full sounding. When I got it, I swore I didn't need another Bass amp sim, but here we are...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zo said:

but in blind tests while they have more body , the PA seemed to integrtate better in the mix i was working on

I find this is true not only for bass amps, but other studio processors like comps and EQs. Although better is subjective, as IK plugins still sound awesome.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

IK Ampeg is my go to, it's been for years. I also have PA, it sounds really good but IK is more integrated in my workflow. 

I also have a real ampeg, 108 something,  I don't use it no more, the vst replace it. Just because is easier to use and don't think  clients are going to miss the real thing (despite being the cheapest one, it sounds really good) :D

Edited by arnoldoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thks amigos , for the feedback , you re right Arnold , ik thks to pedal cabinets section  and most rack is a powerhouse for real and willl give advantage on any offering around .It just take some time .... it reminds me omnisphere , superbe sounding , but if i need a bass synth i bough monoment  bass or trillian ....

 

yep i wnated the vh4 also but Ik delivered better .... my choice for the b15 and the svt vr , is to cover the grrr area (svt vr) and the deeper layback sound ( B15)  at 6 % of cpu versus 11 % for ik and 17% for darkglass . 

@Craig Fowler yep Eden is always sounding superb , it s an svt pro on steroid !!!  It s just sometime to clean ;) 

 

I m experimeneting more and more with parallax and this thing is deep and superb , you just have to take the time but you basically can have any tone , impressive, my only concern  is the cabinet section...  so i spent sometime doing starting point s like ampeg , fender , kruger ect ... 

Another cause for my purchase is that i have a comp at home for sone and students occasionnaly and i want to put only no ilok things on it ...so ik and PA as well as NI are the way to go there ...

 

And of course got those for 25 $ each witch was also a factor , at regular prices i don't even look at those PA stuff lol (not that they're not good but because i know patience will pay )

Edited by Zo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Carlos said:

Awesome Zo, you're my favorite person on the internet so far (King, don't feel jelaous ;) )

Lol i don't see why for real ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also you should try the Nembrini PSA1000jr on bass with some good IRs. I have Ownhammer Ampeg IRs and DR. Bonkers. Ton of sounds there. I have a real PSA-1 and it's probably my favorite piece of gear as you can plug just about anything into it and it sounds rad. Actually to my ears the PSA1000jr is better than a lot of amp sims I've tried for guitar/bass but then I've always liked the PSA sound and I'd say the Nembrini PSA sim is about 85% there to the hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Also you should try the Nembrini PSA1000jr on bass with some good IRs. I have Ownhammer Ampeg IRs and DR. Bonkers. Ton of sounds there. I have a real PSA-1 and it's probably my favorite piece of gear as you can plug just about anything into it and it sounds rad. Actually to my ears the PSA1000jr is better than a lot of amp sims I've tried for guitar/bass but then I've always liked the PSA sound and I'd say the Nembrini PSA sim is about 85% there to the hardware. 

Thks Christian , totally forgot about that one , by the way gimme a link for Ampeg  IR , cabinets is key ...

 

By the way  i love this guyz videos , it really helps to comapre with Emu's 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zo said:

Thks Christian , totally forgot about that one , by the way gimme a link for Ampeg  IR , cabinets is key ...

 

By the way  i love this guyz videos , it really helps to comapre with Emu's 

 

 

This here https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=190&products_id=354

It's the only bass IR pack they have and is one of the best on the market for Ampeg IR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mibby said:

I did a quick search for "AMPG BASS ir files" and came up with the following.

This guy links to a few here:

https://honestampsimreviews.com/2019/07/02/quick-guide-bass-impulse-responses/

A bunch of free ones here, including Ampegs a little way down the page.

http://www.grgr.de/IR/

Word that's Tyler from HASR. He turned me on to the Dr. Bonkers bass cabs and I got all the ones he suggested to get out of that collection, these here from Dr. Bonkers 

MBGR-B 810

GEEK-T 410

GEEK-RB 410

AGI 115

ORG 810

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thks guyz will give it a look ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going after accuracy, this story (posted on our site) comes to mind :

Quote

Funny story… during the first phase of testing with the original engineers, one particular software model was being driven so hard that it "shut down." Completely stopped working. But the lead engineer approved the model on the spot.

We basically modeled the circuit so precisely that we also recreated a fault that should really only typically happen with actual hardware...  At least it wasn't what old-school computer folks call HACF error (Halt And Catch Fire - this acronym from early computing days is why that TV show is named the same way).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

If you're going after accuracy, this story (posted on our site) comes to mind :

We basically modeled the circuit so precisely that we also recreated a fault that should really only typically happen with actual hardware...  At least it wasn't what old-school computer folks call HACF error (Halt And Catch Fire - this acronym from early computing days is why that TV show is named the same way).

Yep i heard this storyb, my question is more for players ( i mainly do re amping here ) , witch one you guyz feel like playing a real thing ;)  tone wise , gimme one or another i can donwhat i need with a superior land to ik thks to all options ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...