Jump to content
  • 0
OldNick

Going to a specific time on the time line

Question

For instance I want to copy a clip, and move it to a new location, or I want to make Now at a specific time, so I can start a new clip etc.

I have tried playing a piece of work and looking at all the indicators, but none seems to indicate a time and allow entry.

Thanks for any help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Aside from several Now time displays the Aim Assist Line shows the current mouse cursor position as a function of time in the Track and Piano Roll view timelines, "B" in the image below

Arranging.27.1.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks guys. Why is there not a Go function that is ....there, not just a letter? I guess there is no answer to that: there just isn't.

I will check out bookmarks.

Edited by OldNick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Further to my original post...AFAICS, there is no "live" indication of where I am on the timeline, either in the Track Pain, or in the PRV. Is there some way to see this? It seems like a basic and essential function. IIRC we had this in the past.

That "G" idea seems mighty like a script that somebody wrote, because there is no other way. All due credit to them, but as I said a menu item or toolbar feature would be nice. I hate it when the app starts making you press some (possibly undocumented) letter to get function. See Blender, for instance.

Thanks for any response (preferably at least polite)

Edited by OldNick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, OldNick said:

. . . as I said a menu item or toolbar feature would be nice. I hate it when the app starts making you press some (possibly undocumented) letter to get function.

If you don't like key-bound shortcuts, but clicking on buttons fits your personal workflow, you might want to consider the Custom Module as a substitute.

Under Commands, we have* 

image.png.4762aa1ce4f74f07e782a4b109cd2c68.png  For example:      image.png.20cbef2cf82359336dba418b2ac90a4f.png

* among many other commands in addition to many choices under Menu Items

 

Edited by User 905133
(2) wording tweaks; (1) to add images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/1/2020 at 8:29 PM, OldNick said:

For instance I want to copy a clip, and move it to a new location, or I want to make Now at a specific time, so I can start a new clip etc.

 

Are you wanting to enter M:B:F format (in which case , press G) or actual time in Minutes and (Milli)seconds ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 6/13/2020 at 4:38 AM, OldNick said:

Further to my original post...AFAICS, there is no "live" indication of where I am on the timeline, either in the Track Pain, or in the PRV. Is there some way to see this? It seems like a basic and essential function. IIRC we had this in the past.

That "G" idea seems mighty like a script that somebody wrote, because there is no other way. All due credit to them, but as I said a menu item or toolbar feature would be nice. I hate it when the app starts making you press some (possibly undocumented) letter to get function. See Blender, for instance.

Thanks for any response (preferably at least polite)

So, @scook provided a link, a few posts above, to the Go dialog, where you simply enter the time you want to jump to.  You can be super precise, or just enter a measure number, and in that case it would jump you to beat 1 of that measure.

And, current Now Time is shown in the Transport Module, with several display formats available:

Capture.PNG.46c326f3baa10c624ab93e0145fd2d03.PNG

Here again, is the link to the documentation for the 'Go dialog'.  The shortcut key to bring  up the 'Go dialog', is the letter 'G'.

Go dialog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 6/13/2020 at 7:08 PM, OldNick said:

Further to my original post...AFAICS, there is no "live" indication of where I am on the timeline, either in the Track Pain, or in the PRV. Is there some way to see this?

You can also open the "Big Time" Window.  Main menu Views > Big Time.  Or press (ALT + SHIFT + 3). 

You can right click on the time itself to adjust the formatting of the time display. 

Single left click on the time itself toggles between displaying MBT time and SMPTE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...