Alt + Scroll Button SERIOUSLY Impeding My Workflow

Helos Bonos

I can confirm @Helos Bonos and @User 905133 experience with zooming out with Alt-Mouse Wheel (or ALT-Touchpad 2 finger scrolling on a laptop) making extreme jumps. I have always been similarly frustrated by it. In general it is a jumpy scroll, nothing like the  s m o o t h  scrolling shown in the video mentioned above.

I my video here you see me starting to zoom with ALT-wheel. I am moving very slowly and smoothly with no halts on my part. The zoom-out process, however, simply jumps first from a view of about 10 measures width, then to 15, then to 30, then full zoom-out to over 300 bars width. 3 distinct jumps, not smooth at all.

😞

zoom.gif

Edited by winkpain
  • Like 3

A bit off topic, I might create a post in the feedback section but I find it very annoying that the muted notes in PRV are almost invisible. Like they couldn't just grey out the notes? It's just a very light grey outline with 100% transparent note.

Find the muted notes:
image.thumb.png.ef40ceb4cef29954db4019ba6160cbc1.png

image.png

12 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

A bit off topic, I might create a post in the feedback section but I find it very annoying that the muted notes in PRV are almost invisible. Like they couldn't just grey out the notes? It's just a very light grey outline with 100% transparent note.

Find the muted notes:
image.thumb.png.ef40ceb4cef29954db4019ba6160cbc1.png

image.png

Now there I'm not quite with you. After all, they are muted, inaudible. So nearly invisible makes sense. 🙂

HOWEVER, the situation could be improved in your case by going to Preferences/Customization/Colors then choosing the PRV category and playing with your colors there, specifically the PRV Grid Background Brightness slider, so that the muted notes' outlines are more obvious.

I have a custom color scheme for my own PRV and the muted notes show well enough...

Annotation 2020-05-04 221643.png

• Great Idea 1

@winkpain Well, you just solved that problem! But you know, why wouldn't CbB just give you a PRACTICAL color combination by default and let you muck it up if you choose rather than giving it to you mucked up so you have to fix it??? I notice a lot of defaults are like this and this is not only a CbB issue. Reaper is guiltily of this as well.

13 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

@winkpain Well, you just solved that problem! But you know, why wouldn't CbB just give you a PRACTICAL color combination by default and let you muck it up if you choose rather than giving it to you mucked up so you have to fix it??? I notice a lot of defaults are like this and this is not only a CbB issue. Reaper is guiltily of this as well.

Agreed. But what one thinks practical, another might not, I guess. Just think, it gets you to digging into the workings of your DAW and helps you learn a lot of new stuff! 🙂

I know, I'd much rather spend more time working on actual music than making the DAW do what I think it should do, but it's basically another instrument we have to learn, so it needs a little time.

• Like 1

I just discovered you can adjust the zoom amount for smoother zooming with the scroll wheel but requires more spinning of the wheel:

Track menu item>Options>Mouse Wheel Zoom Options...>Zoom Factor>Horizontal

But it doesn't fix the PRV zoom. Apparently there's no connection between the two operations.

• Like 1