Bill Phillips

Audio File Explorer Column Headings

Question

Has anyone found a way to set up custom file explorer column headings sets like those shown in the bottom screenshot? By default, File Explorer selects column headings appropriate for published songs for .wav files. See top screenshot.  Any suggestions?

V5CgUZy.png

E46ehju.png

8 answers to this question

you can customise a folder's columns, view, etc, but you need to apply it to that folder and then "apply to all folders" for it to stick to all/new folders

if you only want it in certain folders, rather than all, then you need to do them individually

/hth

Ooops.  You want to set it up as a default, not on a folder-by-folder basis.

Edited by User 905133
suggestion for changing columns on a folder-by-folder basis removed

On 4/13/2020 at 6:12 PM, Kevin Perry said:

This is Windows (10, I assume) being "clever" and using what it calls "Automatic Folder Type Discovery" - you can disable it (registry tweak) and customise folders more how you like, but it has some consequences (which may or may not bother you!).

See here for more info: https://winaero.com/blog/disable-folder-type-discovery-windows-10/

Thanks @Kevin Perry That's the answer. However, I suspect the "consequences" would be more annoying than the one I have now. I tried creating a project audio folder template and included a wav file to hopefully maintain the column format. No luck. When I pasted the manually formatted folder to another location, auto discovery re-formatted it. No luck. Microsoft needs to add a "custom folder types" option. I'm not holding my breath.

9 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

you can customise a folder's columns, view, etc, but you need to apply it to that folder and then "apply to all folders" for it to stick to all/new folders

if you only want it in certain folders, rather than all, then you need to do them individually

/hth

@pwalpwal, thanks. Where's the "apply to all folders" option? Also is there a way to undo it?

6 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

I use pwalpwal's method on the root of each drive and it works.

Yes, but folder options don't affect auto-discovery which determines column headings. It appears, that nothing short of the registry edit @Kevin Perry proposed will do that. Even after I change the column headings for a folder, auto-discovery will revise them if I copy that folder.