Jump to content
Yellowsheep Studio

2020.01 Patch Point stereo BUG

Recommended Posts

I usually record a stereo track, then output to a patch point. I separate L and R channel by opening 2 empty tracks named "Left" and "Right", assigning patch point L (mono) to "Left" and patch pont R (mono) to "Right". but both Left and Right tracks receive a stereo input patch even if mono input (left or right) is selected. pretty simple bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Verify the track interleave (the button just above E in the image below) on tracks "Left" and "Right" are set to mono

Inspectors.3.2.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

verified, if you set to mono you receive a merged L and R signal to mono even if input is L or R (mono).

verify yourself putting on a stereo track two different sounds in L and R, e.g guitar pan L and Key pan R then get out to a patch point. you expeted that patch point input L (mono) send the guitar and the patch point R (mono) send a keyboard. but you'll find both L - R send both guit - key, merged in mono.

not shure if this is a bug introduced with new update. i worked with november update till last week, apparently without issue.

tested in another computer, same version 2020.01, same issue.

Edited by Yellowsheep Studio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After creating a track with two completely different sounds on each channel

I changed the track output to a patch point

Added new tracks w/ with one with input set to left patch point, the other with right patch point

Recorded the new tracks.

Each track recorded the appropriate channel from the original track.

Here is an image of the result of recording the mono patch points into two new tracks.

 

fcCmmTU.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting the same as OP.  I assign the output of any stereo track or bus to a new patch point.. Then I create two mono tracks using the mono patch points as inputs. I get a mono sum at each of the two new tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

I'm getting the same as OP.  I assign the output of any stereo track or bus to a new patch point.. Then I create two mono tracks using the mono patch points as inputs. I get a mono sum at each of the two new tracks.

Further testing. The above is true for playback. If I record the tracks, they record the mono source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I spot checked playback from Platinum 2016-12 through current and it works the same.

It appears that playback does merge stereo signals to mono, record does not. I have filed a bug report for this.

Currently to get playback split takes two sends, one panned hard left and the other panned hard right. This will not merge the channels on playback.

Rather than mess with patch points, I would use bounce to trackss) on the original track to create mono tracks or record the two channels as mono tracks from the start.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, scook said:

OK, I spot checked playback from Platinum 2016-12 through current and it works the same.

It appears that playback does merge stereo signals to mono, record does not. I have filed a bug report for this.

Currently to get playback split takes two sends, one panned hard left and the other panned hard right. This will not merge the channels on playback.

Rather than mess with patch points, I would use bounce to track(s) on the original track to create mono tracks or record the two channels as mono tracks from the start.

 

Another option is to export the stereo track as split mono and then add the mono tracks into the project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Another option is to export the stereo track as split mono and then add the mono tracks into the project.

Bounce to track(s) with Channel Format set to "Split Mono" gets the same result without the need to re-import the clips.

That said, if mono processing is the goal, recording the two channels on separate tracks is best. Should the need arise to process the two tracks together route them to an aux track or bus.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 3:09 PM, scook said:

Bounce to track(s) with Channel Format set to "Split Mono" gets the same result without the need to re-import the clips.

That said, if mono processing is the goal, recording the two channels on separate tracks is best. Should the need arise to process the two tracks together route them to an aux track or bus.

@scook I think I'm missing something. My understanding is that when two audio interface mono inputs are recorded as a stereo track, two tracks are actually recorded just as if each input was recorded as an independent mono track. The difference is that the two tracks are placed in a single file allowing them processed as a single stereo channel. Visually, the top (left) trace in track view represents the odd numbered audio interface input and the bottom (right) trace represents the even numbered input. So, if I later decide that I want to process the two unaltered inputs independently as mono tracks bouncing them to split mono will simply separate the combined tracks into the mono tracks recorded. Is that not true? If the split mono tracks are different, how are they different from the two mono signals recorded?

Edited by Bill Phillips
corrections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only difference between

recording a 2 channel track and splitting it into 2 mono tracks

and

recording 2 mono track

is

the additional step of splitting the 2 channel track

 

I maintain the best approach is the one that takes the fewest steps. This is why I wrote

On 4/8/2020 at 7:09 PM, scook said:

if mono processing is the goal, recording the two channels on separate tracks is best. Should the need arise to process the two tracks together route them to an aux track or bus.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...