U-Phoria UMC404HD Interface - Behringer

Syphus

Hi there,

A friend of mine just bought this interface and I was curious if anyone out there is using this hardware?

His OS is Windows 10 -  I don't want to get too technical here.  I want to hear some opinions about it (good or bad)

He is experiencing what appears to be a driver conflict:  With out warning while using CbB or youtube,  The driver disconnects and has to be "jump started" by pulling the USB cable and reinserting.

The dropout seems to be random and not triggered by any particular action.   Doing some research, I found it might be conflict between Windows bit rate settings and his ASIO settings.   Has any using this unit experienced this and if so, how did you "fix it"

Any experienced suggestion is appreciated.   I don't want to dive too deep.  I don't know what his board specs are and don't think it matters in this case.   Just fishing for ideas on the problem and possible solutions

Thanks in advance . . .

Syphus

There is a known issue with clock rate miss matches and it seems system dependent related to the quality of the audio ASIO driver.  

Video ( utube) uses 48 and a lot of people like me use 44.1 for all my recordings.  I never have disconnect issues when using my Tascam or Focusrite interfaces but I was given a M Audio fast track pro ( ya real old) and it always disconnects. 

I only use my AUdio interfaces for all system sounds but I think some people solve this issue by setting things to use on board audio for everything other than DAW work. Seems a pita as you would need 2 sets of speakers. 

• Thanks 1

I am using a UMC204HD (the smaller version).  I'm definitely not having any driver disconnect issues.  But I do have Windows configured to use 48khz just like all my ASIO projects in every daw.  There have been driver/firmware updates last year, so I'd make sure you get those.  I'm running version 4.59.0 which I believe is the last version.  Download it from here (for the 404HD)

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UMC404HD/p/P0BK1/Downloads

When some Windows apps change the sample rate to 44.1 things can sometimes get stuck, doesn't happen often.  Oddly enough this doesn't happen to ASIO apps (they keep working at any sample rate), they seem happy to change the sample rate.  But native Windows apps will stop being able to make sounds.  Usually when this happens I hunt down every app that has the audio device open and kill it/restart it. Which fixes the problem.  But this doesn't happen very often, assuming you have Windows configured to use the 48khz sample rate you use for audio.  Worse case I have to unplug and reconnect the box.  But that isn't very common at all (every 3 months or so maybe).  And this is on a computer that is on 24x7.

Note it's important to make sure you are powering the interface correctly.  I'm using a full tower ATX desktop with a full power USB port and I've configured it to never do any power saving.  A laptop USB port might not be able to put out enough juice to run the interface.  A high-quality powered hub might help with that.

• Thanks 2

I have a 404HD.  I am actually surprised how good it is considering its price. The latency is great, I've never had any problems with it and I run it powered off my desktop's  USB port. Like other posters have said here, the main thing is to match Cakewalk's and Windows' sample rates.

It's a great interface!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I'm running version 4.59.0 which I believe is the last version.  Download it from here (for the 404HD)

Thanks Matthew, I hadn’t noticed there was an update available. I’ve got a UMC404HD at home and the smaller UMC204HD at my vacation home, as I needed the classic MIDI input connection which isn’t very common in this price range. Never had any problems with the interfaces or their drivers since I bought them almost two years ago. All sample rates are matched throughout my systems.

• Like 1

I've also used a 404HD without issue, and for the money I think it's a great choice -  latency is fine, and it's built like a tank with lots of IO

I also noticed windows apps might have sound issues if sample rates not aligned between Cakewalk and Windows, so check that first.

• Thanks 1

One thing that can be a factor is the option in the Windows Sound panel for how Exclusive Mode works, I never check this box:

wm1cgJ.jpg

And I don't let Cakewalk take exclusive control either.  And I agree for the money it's a great interface.  I needed something to fill in when Firewire quit being reliable on Windows 10 (I got it to work, but it was never as solid as on Win 7) but none of the Thunderbolt 3 interfaces were shipping yet (still true, still waiting), so I went with this as the fill in interface.  It's been very decent.

• Thanks 1

Another UMC404HD user here. I've owned it for quite a while but I've just started using it on a regular basis after my great old M-Audio Delta 66 finally tanked. It will be missed. I haven't had any issues such as you describe, but I have it set for 44.1k mostly because I use Band in a Box a lot and it will only do 44.1k.

I agree, it's a great interface for the money. I researched audio interfaces extensively before I bought it and I felt quite confident -- still do -- that it's the best audio interface out there for the money. Only things I've noticed about it so far are it doesn't seem to have the same amount of gain capacity as my old Delta before noticeable distortion sets in.

Edited by Michael McBroom
  • Thanks 1

Hi All - Thanks for the response . . .

My buddy disabled all his sound drivers except the UMC404HD driver and he said it appears to be stable (time will tell).  I won't know till this weekend if he was successful . . .

Still, if you have info on this interface, please do include it in the thread.  It could prove to valuable to others using or thinking about getting  this interface.

Once again,   Thank you all!

Syphus

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 2:06 PM, Matthew Sorrels said:

One thing that can be a factor is the option in the Windows Sound panel for how Exclusive Mode works, I never check this box:

wm1cgJ.jpg

And I don't let Cakewalk take exclusive control either.  And I agree for the money it's a great interface.  I needed something to fill in when Firewire quit being reliable on Windows 10 (I got it to work, but it was never as solid as on Win 7) but none of the Thunderbolt 3 interfaces were shipping yet (still true, still waiting), so I went with this as the fill in interface.  It's been very decent.

Hi Matthew

Just want to THANK YOU!! Your advice saved me from pulling my hair out. Now works perfectly! God bless you !!!

Willie (Pretoria, South Africa)

• 8 months later...

Hello All 

I am just novice in the DAW field . I am using UMC404HD with Cakewalk  with UMC driver 4.5.9 .

My question is does cakewalk allow to record all 4 tracks at the same time?  Other full featured DAW waveform lets me assign input 1,2,3,4 to separate channels but cakewalk only shows left and right input 1 and left and right of input 3 

Thanks

Yatin 

Yes

The inputs are based on the info provided by Windows.

Windows reports stereo pairs.

This means in Cakewalk:

• 1-Left is channel 1 on the interface
  • 1-Right is channel 2 on the interface
  • 3-Left is channel 3 on the interface
  • 3-Right is channel 4 on the interface

so, to record interface channel 2 as a mono track in Cakewalk set a track's interleave to mono and its input to 1-Right.

3 minutes ago, scook said:

Yes

The inputs are based on the info provided by Windows.

Windows reports stereo pairs.

This means in Cakewalk:

• 1-Left is channel 1 on the interface
  • 1-Right is channel 2 on the interface
  • 3-Left is channel 3 on the interface
  • 3-Right is channel 4 on the interface

so, to record interface channel 2 as a mono track in Cakewalk set a track's interleave to mono and its input to 1-Right.

Thanks for the info @scook   Does that mean Audacity also does the same ?

I had one that was recognized as a USB device by some laptops and not at all by others.

I don't know if it had to do with chipsets, but it was independent of the age of the laptops.

Very strange. I exchanged it for a different manufacturer.

8 hours ago, twelvetone said:

I had one that was recognized as a USB device by some laptops and not at all by others.

I don't know if it had to do with chipsets, but it was independent of the age of the laptops.

Very strange. I exchanged it for a different manufacturer.

Was this using the external power supply? I don't seem to need it for my PC but when using the laptop I had to use the external power supply or it won't power up and be seen by the OS.

That is also something to consider if you are running four inputs at the same time particularly if they need +48v phantom power. May be worth using the power supply rather than relying solely on USB bus power.

2 hours ago, Hatstand said:

Was this using the external power supply?

Believe me, I tried absolutely each and every combination, tried all USB ports, ex power, different cables...  

On some it worked flawlessly, on some it didn't show up as a USB device.

15 hours ago, Yatin Rao said:

Hello All 

I am just novice in the DAW field . I am using UMC404HD with Cakewalk  with UMC driver 4.5.9 .

My question is does cakewalk allow to record all 4 tracks at the same time?  Other full featured DAW waveform lets me assign input 1,2,3,4 to separate channels but cakewalk only shows left and right input 1 and left and right of input 3 

Thanks

Yatin 

already has the driver in version 5.0

On 02/03/2020 at 05:58, Canopus said:

Obrigado Matthew, não tinha percebido que havia uma atualização disponível. Eu tenho um UMC404HD em casa e o menor UMC204HD na minha casa de férias, pois precisava da conexão de entrada MIDI clássica que não é muito comum nesta faixa de preço. Nunca tive problemas com as interfaces ou seus drivers desde que os comprei há quase dois anos. Todas as taxas de amostragem são combinadas em todos os meus sistemas.

already has the driver in version 5.0