Noises...

Patrik B Karl

Question

I have used Sonar Cakewalk with samplers and many, different programs for years and years, Native, Addictive, Real Guitar etcetera,  without any problems, top notch.

But now it's called Cakewalk by bandlab and I got no idea what the hell happened, it sounds like shit, yes it does.

For example, when I run KONTAKT with some instrument I have used for years, it sounds so bad I can no longer use it.

I have been mailing here and there for months, but no solution...

How the hell should any user know how to fix these sort of problems when not even those technicians know how to fix it ?

I use Scarlett solo 3 gene and all drivers are updated.

Does anyone here know ?

Edited by Patrik B Karl

14 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Patrik B Karl said:

I have used Sonar Cakewalk with samplers and many, different programs for years and years, Native, Addictive, Real Guitar etcetera,  without any problems, top notch.

But now it's called Cakewalk by bandlab and I got no idea what the hell happened, it sounds like shit, yes it does.

For example, when I run KONTAKT with some instrument I have used for years, it sounds so bad I can no longer use it.

I have been mailing here and there for months, but no solution...

How the hell should any user know how to fix these sort of problems when not even those technicians know how to fix it ?

I use Scarlett solo 3 gene and all drivers are updated.

Does anyone know here?

Is the vst 32 bit or 64 bit?

It is pretty difficult to diagnose "noises" that "sound like shit" from the verbal description alone. You apparently have a trained ear and a lot of experience, so it is surprising that the vocabulary you use to describe the audio situation is so limited. Late versions of SONAR were not so different from Cakewalk in terms of the audio reproduction, and there are many people who do find instrument plugins usable in Cakewalk. If you are new to Cakewalk, then presumably it was installed with different settings or even on different hardware than SONAR was, which further complicates the issue. Getting technical help from peers or technicians is an onerous time-consuming and often frustrating exercise, but on its face this seems to be more of a case of venting than soliciting assistance.

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

It is pretty difficult to diagnose "noises" that "sound like shit" from the verbal description alone. You apparently have a trained ear and a lot of experience, so it is surprising that the vocabulary you use to describe the audio situation is so limited. Late versions of SONAR were not so different from Cakewalk in terms of the audio reproduction, and there are many people who do find instrument plugins usable in Cakewalk. If you are new to Cakewalk, then presumably it was installed with different settings or even on different hardware than SONAR was, which further complicates the issue. Getting technical help from peers or technicians is an onerous time-consuming and often frustrating exercise, but on its face this seems to be more of a case of venting than soliciting assistance.

Whatever, who gives a shit 😋

I have used Sonar Cakewalk since the -90s.

Like I said who gives a fu... 😉

Anyone who have same type of  sounding problems using the new bandlabcakewalk ?

Edited by Patrik B Karl

2 minutes ago, Patrik B Karl said:

Sure my friend

Nothing jumps out as being out of the ordinary. What I would do, as part of the elimination process, is to move the Buffer Size slider all the way to the right/Safe position, just to rule that out if it isn't the problem. Also, do media files you play on your computer also have noise when played?

3 minutes ago, Chappel said:

Nothing jumps out as being out of the ordinary. What I would do, as part of the elimination process, is to move the Buffer Size slider all the way to the right/Safe position, just to rule that out if it isn't the problem. Also, do media files you play on your computer also have noise when played?

I tried to change the buffer but no change.

Wav and mp3 files sounds good, so seems no problem with headphones or Scarlett solo ,right ?

But when I load any instrument in Kontakt it has rattling distortion. Same when using Addictive keys.

I have talked to those people but they didnt know.

1 minute ago, Patrik B Karl said:

I tried to change the buffer but no change.

Wav and mp3 files sounds good, so seems no problem with headphones or Scarlett solo ,right ?

But when I load any instrument in Kontakt it has rattling distortion. Same when using Addictive keys.

I have talked to those people but they didnt know.

I have to run some errands but I have one last suggestion. Reinstall your Kontakt software if you haven't already. If you installed Cakewalk by BandLab while Kontakt was already on your system Cakewalk may not not be using it at optimum performance. I hope you can get this problem resolved because I know how frustrating it must be. Ah, one more thing... if you have access to another audio interface you could try using that to see if you still have the same problem. If not, the problem might be in your hardware.

1 minute ago, Chappel said:

I have to run some errands but I have one last suggestion. Reinstall your Kontakt software if you haven't already. If you installed Cakewalk by BandLab while Kontakt was already on your system Cakewalk may not not be using it at optimum performance. I hope you can get this problem resolved because I know how frustrating it must be. Ah, one more thing... if you have access to another audio interface you could try using that to see if you still have the same problem. If not, the problem might be in your hardware.

Ok, thanx for helping me my friend.

i will try those things 

Have a great evening there

It's a bit surprising that your I/O latencies are more than twice the buffer size each way (i.e. lots of hardware/firmware/bus latency), but if audio file playback sounds okay I wouldn't be too concerned about that just now.

I suggest you start by clicking the Reset Config button in Preferences > Audio > Config File. Cakewalk will build a default AUD.INI, and back up the existing one.

If that doesn't get it, try disabling '64-bit Double Precision Engine' and 'Use Multiprocessing Engine' one at a time to see if there's an issue with either of those in your system, or maybe with the related 'Plugin Load Balancing' if you have that enabled.

Edited by David Baay

I have tried these solutions but still the same.

I also updated Scarlett Solo 3gen.

Bad distortion in KONTAKT and ADDICTIVE KEYS.

But not when I use Real Guitar by Music lab !?

I tried to figure out why,

but I have no idea. 

Any suggestions ?

Btw...I might sound like someone who is new to this but I am sure not,

it´s just that I never had any of these problems before.

Edited by Patrik B Karl

What is the result when using Kontakt and Addictive Keys in standalone mode?

What is the result when using either as the only instrument on a single track in a new from scratch (not from a template) project without any effects?

Is the "distortion" that you hear when using Cakewalk present on an exported wave file when it is played back on another audio application?

Is the "distortion" present at all levels and pitches for a given instrument?

Is the "distortion" digital clipping (overs)? Is it analog clipping?

Is the "distortion" dropouts?

I wish I could point you at an article using music as the substrate, but this will give you some examples of different "noises" you are likely to hear.

https://www.thepodcasthost.com/recording-skills/stop-whats-that-sound-troubleshooting-audio-issues/

Edited by slartabartfast

Hi my friends,

The problem is fixed. It was the soundcard.

For some reason Scarlett Solo 3rd gen does not work with Cakewalk by bandlab 

and the other stuff that I am using.

I know this because I have tried everything, driver, update, cables and more...

but still it does not work.

I borrowed Scarlett 2i2 from a friend to see if that would work,

and it did.

So obviously,  there´s something wrong with Scarlett Solo 3rd gen.