Spec Help for New System

chamlin

My 2013 system wants to go to the great beyond so it's time to choose specs. I get my systems from the guys at SilentPC.com and they take incredible care of people. 7 year old system and they earnestly try to help troubleshoot problems without ever suggesting getting a new system. Good folks.

My old system has an ASUS Z87 Deluxe 1150 Intel Z87 Intel Motherboard, with Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz Quad-Core 84w CPU, and 16GB (2 x 8GB) Kingston DDR3. It has served me well.

Need to decide on specs. My uses:

• Music:  Basic recording to this point, guitars, vocals. But intend to start doing my own Melodyne work on my vox, maybe use soft synths but unlikely heavy use.
  • Music:  When I'm editing tracks there can be 100 once all band tracks are input. Breakdown would be something like 10 drum tracks, bass, 8 guitar tracks, 6 keyboard tracks, and at times 35 vocal tracks / harmonies.
  • Music:  I do NOT do my own mixing but am learning to play with effects and EQ.
  • Video:  I'm just learning to use Adobe Premiere ELEMENTs for basic YouTube and Music video production. Up to now, I record videos with an external mic plugged in to Cakewalk, then EQ-effect the vocal, then export it and align in Premiere. I see on Adobe's site that for 4K video the minimum is an i7-7700.

A few of my new "mid-level" system options are:

• Asus Prime Z370-A II ATX Socket 1151 Coffee Lake Motherboard with:
    • Intel i7-9700 9th Gen Coffee Lake (8-Core, 8-Thread, 3.0GHz, 65W, UHD Graphics 630 (Benchmark 15811)
    • Intel i7-9700 9th Gen Coffee Lake (8-Core, 8-Thread, 3.6GHz, 12MB Cache, 16 Lanes, 95W (Benchmark 17219)
    • Intel i9-9900 9th Gen Coffee Lake (8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6GHz, 12MB Cache, 16 Lanes, 95W (Benchmark 20250)
  • 16GB Kingston DDR4 2666 CL19 Non-ECC RAM     or     16GB Corsair DDR4 3200 CL16 Non-ECC RAM    

They have pricier systems with boards like Supermicro X11SRA-F Socket 2066 Xeon-W, Asus Rog STRIX X299-E, Asus X299 Deluxe II with Intel Socket 2066. Just not sure if it's needed.

Any of the mentioned cpus will do just fine in a daw, especially if mixing is not the focus here. But 4k video can be taxing if you use many layers and effects. You will need a capable graphics card as well, cpu alone with an integrated gpu won't take you far.

But it's great if you have a  dealer  who is willing to help you with your needs!

• Like 1