Protools is adding folders. Imitation is flattery.

Davydh

1 hour ago, chuckebaby said:

Nested folders in CV has been a feature request by many users for a long time now.

Yup. I simply got tired of asking for that after about 7 years of expressing my desire to have that feature.

7 hours ago, rejkmackan said:

I would like to have the option of showing folders also in the Cakewalk console view, so I can easily hide the tracks I'm currently not interested in.

Are you aware that you can have separate track managers for the track and console views if you untick the box inside the blue box on the image below?

E9zWYJ0.png

I like to use the console view for mixing and want to see aux tracks in the console view that I don't want to see in track view since there are no clips in the aux tracks.

Edited by Bill Phillips
Clarification
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Are you aware that you can have separate track managers for the track and console views if you untick the box inside the blue box on the image below?

No, that's a great tip as long as there are no folders in the console view. Thanks!

@Bill Phillips, To add onto your post, for those that are not aware (like I wasn't) the little box is called the Track Manager Dialog.

In the Console View the Track Manager Dialog can be called by pressing the letter "h" on your computer keyboard or "Strips" menu > "Track Manager".

In the "Tracks" menu > "Track Manager".

Clipboard32

Edited by Jim Fogle

I think it's cute when Pro Tools gets a feature that Cubase and Cakewalk and Digital Performer and Logic users have all been taking for granted for half a dozen years and their marketing department goes nuts and their smug users get further confirmation that PT is the greatest. I didn't watch the video, but I'm guessing that PT folders work the same way as Cakewalk folders? You can group tracks and mute, solo, arm? Collapse the folder to save real estate?

The last one I saw that cracked me up was Clip Gain Automation. Pro Tools apparently only got the ability to automate gain within a clip in the previous revision and that was a HUGE DEAL. OMG THA CLIP GAINZ AUDDOMASHIONNZ BUY YOUR UPDATEZ NOWZERZ!!

Even freaking little old Mixcraft has had all of those things for years. I would love for Cakewalk to handle folders the way that program does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think it's cute when Pro Tools gets a feature that Cubase and Cakewalk and Digital Performer and Logic users have all been taking for granted for half a dozen years and their marketing department goes nuts and their smug users get further confirmation that PT is the greatest. I didn't watch the video, but I'm guessing that PT folders work the same way as Cakewalk folders? You can group tracks and mute, solo, arm? Collapse the folder to save real estate?

The last one I saw that cracked me up was Clip Gain Automation. Pro Tools apparently only got the ability to automate gain within a clip in the previous revision and that was a HUGE DEAL. OMG THA CLIP GAINZ AUDDOMASHIONNZ BUY YOUR UPDATEZ NOWZERZ!!

Even freaking little old Mixcraft has had all of those things for years. I would love for Cakewalk to handle folders the way that program does.

Protools folders work two ways.

Like an Aux. The folder itself has a fader.

Or for grouping together.

• Like 2

Oh, that's cool, with its own fader? You can probably throw FX on there as well.

That's nice, that Pro Tools is introducing a feature at 2020 Winter NAMM that Mixcraft introduced at 2016 Winter NAMM.

It used to be that other DAW's imitated PT, but when was the last time that PT came out with a new feature that users of other DAW's coveted? I ask because I don't know, it's not a rhetorical question.

I know they were busy for a couple of years implementing "not locking up at random and critical moments," which CbB also successfully did, but I'm not sure if they were strictly copying them or if it came out of user requests.

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Those will be the new Aux folders.

Will we have a full set of colors (background, text, etc.) in the theme editor for this new folder type so we can distinguish them visually from traditional folders?  Just wondering.  Thanks for the sneak preview.

Never mind: As chuckebaby pointed out, this is not about a new/upcoming Cakewalk feature. 

Edited by User 905133
It was pointed out this was about new Aux folders in ProTools, not Cakewalk.

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Will we have a full set of colors (background, text, etc.) in the theme editor for this new folder type so we can distinguish them visually from traditional folders?  Just wondering.  Thanks for the sneak preview.

I didn't take this as a new Cakewalk feature.

He's referring to the new pro tools aux folder feature that was announced at 2020 NAMM.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2020/1/15/avid-pro-tools-2020-to-have-the-most-requested-feature-folder-tracks

Cakewalk staff doesn't let secrets out, you should know that :D

Edited by chuckebaby
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the track manager view and to edit and make different screensets too, each screenset recalls a different array of tracks enabled or disabled in the track manager. A handy feature to quickly hide and unhide midi tracks, superfluous tracks, and groupings of instruments etc... this feature makes PT track folders seem like a dinosaur.

You don't have to take your eye from the track view to another box over on the side of your rig, you just hit the corresponding screenset number on the keyboard and you are right there.

I don't mix in console view because everything I need to mix is in track view, why learn two setups of the same mix? To me console view is a time-waster. Just my opinion though. And how do I edit envelopes in console view? This alone is a deal breaker for console view. Almost every track I make usually ends up with volume, pan etc envelopes which I prefer to edit by hand...

Edited by RexRed

On 2/2/2020 at 3:03 PM, rejkmackan said:

I would like to have the option of showing folders also in the Cakewalk console view, so I can easily hide the tracks I'm currently not interested in.

Yes, it would be great.

Reaper is the one to copy, really, fully expand/collapse of folder both in track view and console.

StudioOne is not bad either, in track arrange view, you can assign a bus that is the representative for the folder in console.

And in console view - you can rightclick that folder and choose - show/hide related channels.

So in Cakewalk to have menu with show/hide channels feeding the bus - would be a huge leap forwards, I think.

Even though Cakewalk has a separate view for busses - it would work really well in a flash show/hide channels.