How to use Cab Sims in Cakewalk?

Hello Community,

i'm really new in using DAW's. Normaly i'm using a line6 pod hd for my guitare tones but i got a impulse loader (NadIR) and some free Cab sims.  So i want to use these cabs instead of the cabs of the pod hd.

I can record the pod hd tone in Cakewalk and I can also pan these records left and right but i cant figure out how to use or activate the impulse loader.
I deactivated the cab in my pod hd so I get a really harsh tone. I dont know why but it seems like the impulse loader doesn't detacted the input signal. So if I activate the IR Loader and I choose a cab the tone is still harsh. 

In the following you can see a picture. Just want you to show how I've done so far.

Can somebody explane step by step how I can use the IR Loader and which settings are necessary?

I'm very grateful to you.

Cakewalk Cab Sim.PNG

To monitor effects while playing the input echo button must be enabled. This is the button to the right of the record button in track 1 just above the FX rack.

When monitoring through the DAW (this is what the input echo does) there may be some delay (often called latency) in hearing the signal.

This delay is caused by the audio interface buffers and plug-in delay compensation needed to keep the tracks in sync.

The image looks OK. The plug-in is in the FX Rack and it appears there are IRs in the the plug-in. Whether the plug-in or IRs produce the sound you are looking for is another matter. Try different IRs. Could turn on the QuadCurve EQ and roll off the highs. It may be placed before or after the Cab.

Nothing happened. I can change all controlls in the EQ Curve but the tone doesnt change. Maybe i have not the right inputsettings?

Normaly, i dont have the FX. So i have to click Workspace to get the FX. Its also the same using TH3. It's like there is no connecting between these VST's.

Cakewalk Cab Sim3.PNG

I also noticed that I have tone when the echo-button isnt enabled. So that means that I have 2 tones when I enabled the button. Maybe I have to mute the pod hd?

Edited by ThreeLittleBirdies

I recorded the harsh tone. If i play the record and the IR Loader is activated I get a normal tone (amp + cab). Thats strange.

My Setup is:
Guitare goes directly into pod hd. Pod hd goes via usb into my computer. The cab sim of the pod hd is deactivated.

"If you hear the original signal and the signal from the DAW there is some device mixing these two signals."
Problem solved...

I reduced the Hardware Monitor Level of the Line 6 Audio-MIDI Device which can be found in the system controll of the computer...
Now I can hear the tone of the VST (Cab Sim).

But there is some latency...its nearly zero but it is a littlebit off. Should I create a new topic for this?

Thanks for your help. 

23 minutes ago, ThreeLittleBirdies said:

But there is some latency...its nearly zero but it is a littlebit off.

I mentioned the latency issue in my original post.

When mixing a direct signal with the return signal from the DAW normally one does not use input echo for the "live" tracks. This is because there will always be some delay from the DAW because the signal is buffered going into and coming from the DAW by the audio interface driver.

When running as ASIO driver this buffer is set by software supplied by the interface manufacturer. Chances are even at the smallest buffer setting the delay will be noticeable when listening to the direct and return signal on the live track.

In short, if you want to listen to the live track affected by plug-ins expect a slight delay and turn direct monitoring off.