What new updates would you like to see in 2020 to Cakewalk - CLOSED.

Will.

Transform tool for Automation nodes (like there is for Controller lanes)

Keybindings possible to PRV Transform tool functions.

Automation nodes to follow horizontal scaling of MIDI and Audio clips (When pressing SHIFT + CTRL)

Automation clips

Ability to rename controller lanes from within PRV - especially when in Single Lane Controller view.

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Someone mentioned "unfinished project," well it seems that can be said for just about anything in Cakewalk.  ACT is a big example.  I would like to see it fully developed, no, revamped so that it has greater more dependable control integration.  Matrix View needs attention, Staff View really needs a lot of work, etc.  I think BandLab should take a look at each feature/component and improve upon them one at a time.   And take a break from adding new features for a while, until the existing features have been improved.  I wouldn't mind that.  Make them robust and fully functional.  Not that Cakewalk is not workable, but it doesn't take much to reach its limitations in a number of cases.  It still feels a little fragile each time I work with it.  Like just one more move will irreversibly corrupt my project.  I could make a complete list things, but I would have to give it more thought.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 2

Fix the "undo quick unfreeze" bug (makes the track hidden) - drives me nuts that one. 

Change the track focus behaviour so that unfreezing a synth automatically shifts the focus to that track - a close second to above. 

Preferably before something happens to prevent updates being installed in w7.

48 minutes ago, Sparkes9 said:

I only edit in the staff view - well I would were it a better editor. Please, please make staff view editing more comprehensive.

Two of the things I thought about asking for with regard to my use of the staff view (i.e., formal feature requests as opposed to points in discussions) are: (1) to have the tools back within the Staff View window/pane/multi-dock and (2) a split multi-dock (or separate/multiple floatable docks/panes) so we can have both the Staff View and the Event List visible/accessible at the same time instead of having to jump from tab to tab in the multi-dock.  I imagine that some people who also use the PRV extensively might benefit from these abilities, too.

For me, I tend to enter note data in with a midi/usb keyboard and edit them, though sometimes I enter notes directly on the staff.

So, I am wondering, what things would help you editing with the Staff View?

• Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, Michael Vogel ( MUDGEL) said:

For more than 20 years I’ve wanted to see Definable regions (by Markers; a feature that already exists) that can be used as a Playlist for on the fly arrangement. Simply reorder the Playlist to try a different arrangement.

Sort of like an arranger view in studio one?

21 hours ago, tecknot said:

Someone mentioned "unfinished project," well it seems that can be said for just about anything in Cakewalk.  ACT is a big example.  I would like to see it fully developed, no, revamped so that it has greater more dependable control integration.  Matrix View needs attention, Staff View really needs a lot of work, etc.  I think BandLab should take a look at each feature/component and improve upon them one at a time.   And take a break from adding new features for a while, until the existing features have been improved.  I wouldn't mind that.  Make them robust and fully functional.  Not that Cakewalk is not workable, but it doesn't take much to reach its limitations in a number of cases.  It still feels a little fragile each time I work with it.  Like just one more move will irreversibly corrupt my project.  I could make a complete list things, but I would have to give it more thought.

Kind regards,

tecknot

It seems that some features were implemented back in the day, but never improved upon. Maybe the term "unfinished" applies here. Like the Matrix for sure, and probably the staff view!

I agree that if the Cakewalk devs just revisited one feature at a time and gave it the love it deserved, Cakewalk would be an overall awesome package. I think the core is just fine, especially with all the bug fixes and enhancements to the core program that have been made in the past couple of years.

But there does still seem to be a few features that got bolted on over the years that never matured to the competency level of the core feature set.

I think that this type of attention could move Cakewalk up the scale from competent, to excellent! :D

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this already exists and I have not seen it or don't know how to use it.. A clip "re join" feature.  Both audio and midi. Maybe save an original file as non destructive. The split line goes away as if it never existed.

So many times I am adding something to a clip and don't realize or forget there are multiple clips  or want to treat all clips in the track the same, so I need to go back and add whatever it is to all of them individually. The other benefit to this is once "joined" as a whole the clip can be moved around as a whole if need be.

Another nice feature would be to select "save spare midi track" when freezing an audio track. I would prefer to see this as nested under that track and not located in another folder somewhere. This way you could export an audio mix and still have all midi in the same project without necessity to unfreeze to use it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Starise said:

Maybe this already exists and I have not seen it or don't know how to use it.. A clip "re join" feature.  Both audio and midi. Maybe save an original file as non destructive. The split line goes away as if it never existed.

So many times I am adding something to a clip and don't realize or forget there are multiple clips  or want to treat all clips in the track the same, so I need to go back and add whatever it is to all of them individually. The other benefit to this is once "joined" as a whole the clip can be moved around as a whole if need be.

Another nice feature would be to select "save spare midi track" when freezing an audio track. I would prefer to see this as nested under that track and not located in another folder somewhere. This way you could export an audio mix and still have all midi in the same project without necessity to unfreeze to use it.

I think this is similar to my re quest  RE-SPLICE COMPED CLIPS .... Oh,,     like the original non destuctive bit,

PLUS .. a tiny idea for staff view  ,,   just readable ,   if -u- pinch-out ..  Jon,,

SONAR STAFF SCROLLsm.jpg

Edited by Jonathon Barton
to add 2020 idea,,,
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 3