How can I exclude an audio device (a Fractal AxeFx 3) and prevent Sonar from seeing it ?

Greg Wynn

So I record at 44.1k and ONLY have midi to my AxeFx to utilize the softwares that controls it (Axe Edit).  The AxeFx only outputs at 48k however I don’t record via USB and only via straight audio (L and R out into my MOTU interface L and R in).  

Because of this I have to be careful to first start up Sonar and once it’s initialized then power on the Axe Fx.  After that I get a message asking if I want  to add the Axe Fx - which I respond no because if I do everything tries to reset to 48k - which is hugely problematic as I ONLY use audio from the AxeFx and no midi or USB functionality.

So is there a way to permanently “exclude” Sonar from trying to add the Axe Fx ?

Thanks !

Edited by Greg Wynn

The options below should be available within modern Sonar, but I don't know exactly which dialog they are in.

Just to be sure you know, excluding the MIDI device wont' stop it from accessing the audio portions of the device.   

The MIDi stuff doesn't affect the audio sample rate, only the audio device(s).   

If you want to prevent an audio device from being accessed at all, you might be able to do that by disabling it in the Windows Device Manager.  

If not, you should be able to uncheck the audio device from the list of devices in the Audio drivers within Sonar.

If all you want to do is keep it from accessing or listing the MIDI portion, then let it add that, then in Midi Options / Devices, uncheck that device's in and out, and it won't be in any of the lists of ports that tracks can access.   

But it won't stop the audio portion of the device from being accessed, and it will probably prevent you from using MIDI to control the device.   

So doing what yoru thread title suggests is likely the opposite of what you want to do. 

I suspect you will get better answers by changing the word in the title of your thread from MIDI to Audio.

• Like 1

This might work...

1. Open up RegEdit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO
2. Expand that node, find your Axe Fx ASIO device, and expand that.
3. Take note of the exact CLSID and description.
4. Take a backup copy of drivercompat.json in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Sonar (or C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  for CbB )
5. Open drivercompat.json in notepad
6. Add an entry for the Axe Fx, using the CLSID (minus the curly braces) in step 3 as the uuid, and the description as the name.  Be careful to ensure you get the syntax exactly right, then save the file.

This will tell Sonar to ignore the Axe Fx as an ASIO device.

• Great Idea 1

Thx @msmcleod ! I’ll try that.

I should know this but how do I edit my initial header  “How can exclude a midi device (Fractal AxeFx)” to a more accurate “How can I exclude a Fractal AxeFx from coming up as an audio adapter in Sonar?”

Edited by Greg Wynn

• Greg Wynn changed the title to How can I exclude an audio device (a Fractal AxeFx 3) and prevent Sonar from seeing it ?

FIXED (sorta)  - Spent some time on the Fractal forum and this has been an issue with Fractal and Cakewalk/Sonar going back to like 2010.  To be clear I’m sure it’s more an ASIO specification issue rather than a Fractal or Sonar issue.  Lots of trying different things and finally settled on uninstalling the Fractal ASIO driver which to my surprise didn’t resolve the issue (perhaps the Fractal was grabbing my MOTU interface drivers ? Dunno). Finally settled on cranking up Sonar with both interfaces on and the deselecting all the Fractal drives in Sonar prefs.  However I’ve done that previously but…

So here is the where I am I’m cool with it. Before if I turned on the Fractal while Sonar was running Sonar would then ask to grab the Fractal which would change everything to 48k and wreak having on every track and buss input/output.  Frustrating.  So now I can have the Fractal powered up BEFORE starting Sonar and it’s fine which before would cause Sonar to act like I turned it on after Sonar was substantiated.  I can live with it :)

Thx to all who helped !  @msmcleod while I am comfortable delving into the Registry, I elected to go the route I did but if things get wonky I’ll try your suggestion.

Edited by Greg Wynn

On 10/10/2024 at 4:52 PM, Greg Wynn said:

So I record at 44.1k and ONLY have midi to my AxeFx to utilize the softwares that controls it (Axe Edit).  The AxeFx only outputs at 48k however I don’t record via USB and only via straight audio (L and R out into my MOTU interface L and R in).  

Because of this I have to be careful to first start up Sonar and once it’s initialized then power on the Axe Fx.  After that I get a message asking if I want  to add the Axe Fx - which I respond no because if I do everything tries to reset to 48k - which is hugely problematic as I ONLY use audio from the AxeFx and no midi or USB functionality.

So is there a way to permanently “exclude” Sonar from trying to add the Axe Fx ?

Thanks !

Im confused, even if the AxeFX driver is available, if Sonar isn’t set to use it in preferences it shouldn’t be imposing its sample rate limitation on Sonar. Are you using ASIO mode or WASAPI? In ASIO mode only the selected device sample rate is used. If you turn on fractal while Sonar is running it will prompt to use it but you can always choose to not do so. 
Is your question that you want to exclude that message from appearing?

Agreed , odd as I deleted the Fractal ASIO driver and yet the message comes up if Sonar is running and then I power up the Fractal, eh ?  I I say to add it it then reverts Soner to 48k and completely remaps all my track and bus I/O’s.

However now I can have the Fractal powered up before instantiating Sonar and it’s fine whereas previously Sonar would attempt to add it.

EDIT - to answer the question - yes I was hoping to exclude the message. 

Thx for responding, @Noel Borthwick !

Edited by Greg Wynn