Stem Separation Error

HOOK

i'm guessing that the mp3 gets converted back to wav after upload (or before upload if next does the conversion before uploading), and is then too big? (mp3 was clearly not too big to upload in the first place)

@HOOK how big is the same audio as wav?

Edited by pwallington blunt
more text

I mean...it's only a 3:30 song.  That should be nowhere near 100mb at 44.1/16 as a .wav.

But out of curiosity, it did perform as intended when I converted to .wav previous to trying to create stems.  So perhaps .mp3 sends it off the deep end.

Thanks for the thoughts...it helped solve the issue.

• Like 1

Sure...but it really was just opened up and the song was dropped in explicitly to do the stem seps.   NOTE:  While I was packing up this zip, I noticed it was quite large.  Seems that Next imported the 4.81mb MP3 file and converted it to a .wav which is 153mb.

I keep audio settings on Sonar and Next at 96/24.  So perhaps it's blown up because it was converted to .wav at 96/24 when I dropped it into the project?  Weird though.  I swear I've done this before with the same settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ih0jea0rh4xlz9me1trqw/Stem-separation-problem.zip?rlkey=s0ojkibvpico15wqom06rjfqf&st=i09jbpel&dl=0

Next can run different audio file formats. In other words unlike Sonar, if you drop a 48 Wave file into a 44.1 project, it does not convert the audio to 44.1. It leaves it as 48. BUT, what happens is now Next will have to convert this in in real time so it uses more resources to do this. 

Page 56 of users manual is one place you will see this mentioned:  

"Match the project sample rate and audio device sample rate It is strongly recommended that you use the same sample rate for the project and audio device. Using different sample rates will cause real-time audio resampling, which may consume extra CPU. Real-time sample rate conversion ensures that projects can play back on virtually any audio device at the correct playback speed, even if the audio device doesn’t support the current sample rate. The default project sample is Auto, which adapts to the audio device sample rate." 

Next stem separation returns the tracks as 44.1/16  even if they were 48/24 to begin with.  I guess this is to save bandwidth on the server. 

I've done a lot of stem separation stuff and I always record the song I want off of You Tube directly into Next. I normally always work at 48/24 but I set up Next to use 44.1 because this is all I use it for.  I then run the stem Separator and as I said it's done a lot of songs for me this way. including I did a bunch of my own originals that I didn't have multi tracks for and wanted to re mix them. But the audio is not that great for those projects.  

Edited by Bass Guitar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bass Guitar said:

I normally always work at 48/24 but I set up Next to use 44.1 because this is all I use it for

I think that's the lesson learned here.  I only use Next for the stem separation.  So no reason to not have it set for 44.1 to avoid this issue in the future.  It's not like I USE the separations for anything other than to pick out parts and learn them.

• Like 1