Any Ozone users? I need advice

Cobus Prinsloo

Question

Hi all.

I'm trying to figure out how to control the Peak as indicated above the output limiter on the right. I'm able to get the volume in LUFs to more or less what I want (for CD), but the Peak readings are way too high: +4.4

What can I do to bring the Peak value down to -0.1?

I try to understand the correlation (if any) between the Gain setting on the left and the limiter to the right. My understanding of a limiter is that the input sliders determine the threshold, and the output sliders determine the amount of gain. If so, then why have a separate gain setting on the left?

Thanks for any comments.

Cobus

Ozone.PNG

5 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Turn on “True Peak”. It’s in that first module.

Thanks for your reply. My understanding was that "True Peak" is only necessary when the output intent is for a streaming platform such as Spotify because of the analog > digital conversion. Should one always have TP activated?

Even so, how will this help obtain the peak level required by a specific platform, i.e. -1.0 dBTP (for Spotify), or -0.1 dBTP (for CD)?

1 hour ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

Thanks for your reply. My understanding was that "True Peak" is only necessary when the output intent is for a streaming platform such as Spotify because of the analog > digital conversion. Should one always have TP activated?

Even so, how will this help obtain the peak level required by a specific platform, i.e. -1.0 dBTP (for Spotify), or -0.1 dBTP (for CD)?

Even CD's perfer at least -0.1 below. Personally I prefer to be -1.0 for CD's people do have volume controls.

If you get the Pro version of Youlean loudness meter, he has a number of presets for the different popular streaming services. 

• Like 2

My only advice would be to:

Turn off the Ozone Limiter. 

The following is just a very, very simple approach and is not at all what a real mastering engineer would do. But it's all a beginner needs to know to get started.

Use the You Lean Loudness meter placing it last in the signal path of the Master output FX bin. 

Then I would simply use the gain on the Master bus to set it so the You Lean is showing a ballpark target.

You should open the Pro Channel EQ and the fly out and see if you have too much low end energy. That's usually where the problems are. 

There might be a few peaks so now you turn on Ozone to fine tune things.  I would never trust it to do what can easily be done manually first. 

The only limiter I found works flawlessly is the Loud Max    https://loudmax.blogspot.com/    Free too. 

I've been messing with Sonars Concrete Limiter but haven't really gotten a solid way to use it. The Loud Max is dead simple. Set it at -1.0 db and forget is. The You Lean might still show a reading of -0.8 but that's because it works at the sample level. Don't trust anything else. 

If you get the full version it is worth it's weight in gold. Drag and drop any media files for instant readings. Make sure and turn off the automatic drag and drop normalizing it seems they have that as the default in the new version. 

Edited by Bass Guitar
  • Like 1

the Ozone Maximizer (esp the new Ozone 11 version) is very nice esp coupled with the Insight loudness metering. you can set the Maximizer to have a constant level either in or out so you can compare the effect. i usually also add a touch of gentle EQ before the Maximizer to remove a bit of low mids, or push a bit more higher end. 

i use this on the master buss and not on the monitoring or print busses. if i am sending to mastering, once i have tweaked things here, i'll turn it off and then print about from 26LUFS to -18LUFS (depending on targets) so the engineer has room. i'll also print my "mastered" version as a reference as well.

i don't really use the Ozone FX on tracks as i find my other FX typically do what i need. i may on real problem mixes run the Neutron to identify masking issues. e.g. https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/unmasking-your-mix-with-neutron.html

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 1:14 PM, DeeringAmps said:

The output maximum is right next to the true peak. Turn on true peak and set the output level to the appropriate level for your needs. 

Hi, I've done what was suggested: True peak on, and limit set to -1. However, the peak reading above the limiter on the right still reads +1.1 and +1.0. Did I miss something?

Ozone 2.PNG

Something isn't right here, True peak is a "brickwall" limiter.

Try this;

Save your current Ozone settings as a preset.
Delete Ozone.
Reinsert Ozone and call up the saved preset.

Let me know if that works...

t

• Like 1

Are you using the "learn" function?      I only have the basic elements version of Ozone , but I find it will set the maximizer to within 0.1 DB of the target I set.  I turn on "true Peak" and usually set the output max to -1. db or -1.2 db. If you have a lot of loud quick transients use the IRC 1  setting instead of IRC 2. (smoother). In the elements version I have to turn on the "learn" function , play the song from the very beginning to the end and then turn learn "off".

Turn Down your monitors or headphones before playing. It will blast you before the maximizer settles down. I then check the entire song with Youlean Luffs meter "integrated". 99.9% of the time I'm dead on my -14 luffs (if thats what I'm targeting) and within 0.1db of the max peak level that I set. This is by far the easiest part of the mastering process for me.      mark

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 10/8/2024 at 11:31 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Something isn't right here, True peak is a "brickwall" limiter.

Thanks, I have done as suggested. I then also noticed that the link between the Gain gauge and output level was unchecked, so I fixed that (see screenshot). I'm now getting better results. Just one more thing; if the Maximizer module is there to add gain, then what's the purpose of the limiter output slider on the right?

Ozone 3.PNG

23 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Are you using the "learn" function? 

Hi, Yes, I've looked at the "learn" function but read in the manual "Learn input should not be used to meet loudness compliance standards"

This doesn't make sense, because why bother then to include this function? If you're getting 99,9% results with it, I'll start using it.

• Like 1

Yes it is very simple and I get nearly perfect results Everytime.  Sometimes I will check the main stereo track before using Ozone looking for fairly long sections that are too quiet or loud. I watch the "short term" luffs with my loudness meter in those sections , and do a little entire mix volume envelope for problem areas.  Puts a little less work on the maximizer later..    mark

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hsmusic said:

Try setting both your in/out sliders to  0db , then adjust your gain. Looks like the out is about +4..

3 hours ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

Thanks, I will give it a try.

take a look, (you're not using Gain Match) you have the IN set at+0.4, the out at +5.6...double click them so they're both at 0db.

• Like 1

^^ Yes , I never touch the input or output sliders. They stay at 0.    I failed to mention above that I am using the "master assistant".   My mix is normally sitting around -6 to -8 db average before hitting Ozone , if it's not I just adjust my track fader. 

My procedure -  I'll find a section that I want Ozone to listen to. Normally a chorus or a section with All of the instruments playing as well as vox.  I turn down my monitors ,  play that section and let Ozone do it's thing. I Normally accept the results right away and then turn the maximizer module "off".  I'll check the "EQ" suggestions they give me. I'll adjust them to my liking or not use them at all. I then play around with the widening module to see if it helps or not. When I'm satisfied with everything , I'll  turn the maximizer module back on , set my targets , click the learn button , drop my interface volume and play the song from the Very beginning to the end. Then I turn learn function "off" (important) and bring up my Luffs meter while letting the song play all the way thru again.  Luffs "integrated" and peaks should be the same as my targets.     Best of luck ..   mark

• Great Idea 1