Is there plans for a GM default Player?

Sock Monkey

Since the removal of the TTS-1 GM player Sonar is one the few Daw's that doesn't have a GM player anymore. 

Most Daw's will play a GM file using some sort of player as well as use the correct instruments and follow the tempo map. 

Cakewalk Sonar gives you midi tracks with no where to go. Therefore silence.  

Cakewalk Next will play GM midi files. But It doesn't read the tempo maps. 

Are there plans to fix this sort of glaring error?  

Cakewalk used to be very popular for its TTS-1 and what it did.  

24 minutes ago, Steven Philips said:

Personally, I would forget about Sonar and just use CbB it does have TTS-1, it's not loaded by default when you start a new project, but it is loaded when you open a MIDI file.

Are you saying (for example) that people who have TTS-1 from prior purchases of SONAR can use TTS-1 in CbB but not in Cakewalk Sonar?

2 hours ago, Steven Philips said:

Personally, I would forget about Sonar and just use CbB it does have TTS-1, it's not loaded by default when you start a new project, but it is loaded when you open a MIDI file.

Current Cakewalk by BandLab installs do not include TTS-1 either. You would need to use a legacy installer, or previous SONAR version to install it. 

50 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Current Cakewalk by BandLab installs do not include TTS-1 either. You would need to use a legacy installer, or previous SONAR version to install it. 

Yes a handful of us are aware of this. 

My post is for the benefit of new users. They will not have access to the TTS-1. 

There are alternative players like the VST synth font https://www.synthfont.com/   

But Sonar doesn't have a system in place to make this a default player when you open a Midi file in the way the TS-1 worked. 

It's also weird that Sonar removed the check box for using MS wavetable synth. At least that was a workable solution. 

I also find it odd that Cakewalk Next can. 

The question is-  are you planning on fixing this in future updates? It would seem it might be easy to copy what Next is doing. 

Edited by Sock Monkey

8 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

It's also weird that Sonar removed the check box for using MS wavetable synth. At least that was a workable solution. 

This is not accurate. The MS Wavetable synth is an external Windows component. When it's available for Sonar to use, it's visible as a port to enable. Typically you need to be in the MME driver mode to make that work (although using that in general is not recommended). 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

That explains why I still have TTS-1, as I still have my trusty Sonar X3 PE installed, and it's a good job that I didn't uninstall it, as I found that CbB is not as good as Sonar X3, mainly for these reasons:

1.  CbB can only use the MIDI output devices (with exceptions to external devices) that Bandlab specify.  Whereas Sonar X3 can use whatever it detects, currently it's using the Coolsoft Virtual Synth along with the fluidR3 soundfont, that CbB can't use.

2.  CbB gives a warning when trying to use ASIO4ALL, that it may be incompatible, forcing the use of MME that is unstable and has a very high latency, but Sonar X3 uses ASIO4ALL perfectly.

3.  CbB is 64 bit, whereas I previously chose to install the 32 bit version of Sonar X3 for compatibility with most of my 32 bit VST's and VSTi's, and find no difference in audio quality between 64 bit and 32 bit unless I use bit rates higher than 96K, which I don't, I use 41.1K.

4.  CbB's built in bit bridge is not always compatible with some 32 bit VST's and VSTi's,  whereas I can use jBridge for 64 bit VST's converted to 32 bit and successfully use them in Sonar X3.

That's just a few reasons I'll always stick to using my old Sonar X3 PE, and I only use CbB to upload a project to my Bandlab account, and just in case anyone is wondering, I have separate folders that hold projects for both CbB and Sonar X3, , and I set those paths in each DAW's configuration, so that CbB has its own project folder and Sonar X3 has its own project folder too, then when I've completed a project in X3, I make a copy in the CbB folder, then load it into CbB to be uploaded to my Bandlab account.

Edited by Steven Philips